Want to Build Multimedia/Gaming machine - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Want to Build Multimedia/Gaming machine

I will be buying some of the "better" parts out there and not cheap alternatives.

I have not been up to date with all the new technology for the past 5-6 years but I do want to get back into it again.

Browsing for motherboards, I see tons that seem like they will make a house fly to the moon.

Im looking for some help with the motherboard pic. Afterall, this is the heart of the computer. CPU brand is non specific. High speed is wanted.

The basic operations of this computer will be;
DVD/CD Player
THX Home Theater Surround. Dolby Digital and DTS certified.
Heavy Gaming and Online Gaming using wireless or wired controls.
Needs to be directly connected to a HDTV.

Obveously video card and sound card will be seporate.

What motherboard will perform very well under these circumstances?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Electical Engineer
Send a message via AIM to BongWizard Send a message via Yahoo to BongWizard
Default Re: Want to Build Multimedia/Gaming machine

first of all, i wouldn't say the mobo is the "heart" of your rig, more like the foundation of a building... you CAN skimp on it and the building MIGHT still stand up for a while, but do you really want a pile of rubble after a couple years?? didn't think so!

the mobo choice isn't really influenced by any of the things you've listed there... the main 2 are budget and CPU choice... so,

if you wanna stick with Core 2 to keep the budget down a bit, i'd recommend the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P.

if you wanna splurge and grab an i7, i'd recommend the Foxconn Renaissance which was going for about 265 last time i looked

i'm not really too up to date on AMD motherboards, but i know Gigabyte has the MA790GP-UD4H which is supposed to be an absolutely amazing board, but you'd have to ask one of the AMD guys, cuz i've really got no idea

NZXT Lexa BlackLine w/ Red LEDs | Corsair TX-750 | Gigabyte EP45-DS3P | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.6GHz
2x 2GB Kingston HyperX PC2-6400 @ 960MHz (5-4-4-13) | 3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 761/1129 in CrossFireX w/ Thermaltake DuOrbs | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

Got a problem?? Click Here before posting!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Bulldog
Default Re: Want to Build Multimedia/Gaming machine

I would also Recommend the Biostar TP45hp and the I45 if you want core 2. And the Asus P6T and Biostar X58 if you want core i7.

<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Closed Thread