wait or upgrade now? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gapl View Post
You forgot the most important part....power supply...

I would suggest the Corsair 550VX. Can power any system, and then some, for future upgrades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
this is what everybody is doing... atleast on the forum anyways.... they wanna build now and upgrade... and doing this will let you do both:

e2180 (this holds people for a while because of its overclocking ability)
p35-ds3l
crucial ballistix 2gb Kit ddr2-800
Corsair 520 or 550
some case (choose to your liking)
320GB Seagate Barracuda (change this to your liking)
2900pro or gts (your choice again)

and then upgrade to a 45nm Yorkfield
umm.... no i didn't, even tho i usually forget it, I didn't this time, WOOT!!!
__________________

__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

oh...man...I'm losing it. I was thinking of those Corsairs as something else.
__________________

__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

^ meh i'm losing it too... i just thought of Corsair being a hair dryer (thats Conair) and Sunbeam Coffee Machines as the Sunbeamtech
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 347
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

The thing about building NOW is you'll be right at the prime buy time. Prices are low because they've been out long enough to have multiple cuts, and performance parts will last you quite a while.

If you're waiting for the penryns, you'll be spending more money then you would be now on newer stuff.

What I'd do it build a good system now and then just get a cheap proc like the E2180. I hear they overclock nice to so it would hold you over...
Alexinator is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
MetalHead Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,912
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexinator View Post
The thing about building NOW is you'll be right at the prime buy time. Prices are low because they've been out long enough to have multiple cuts, and performance parts will last you quite a while.

If you're waiting for the penryns, you'll be spending more money then you would be now on newer stuff.

What I'd do it build a good system now and then just get a cheap proc like the E2180. I hear they overclock nice to so it would hold you over...
i'm in this situation, i really don't want to spend $75 for a e2140 just for 2 months?
if i did where/how would i sell it you think?
__________________
Proc Intel 2500k
Video XFX 6950 1Gb
Display 22'' Monitor Chemei 5ms RT, 800:1 CR
Mobo Biostar Z68A+
Mem 4 gb PNY DDR3 1600
Case afk
Sound Logitech z-5300e 5.1 + Razer Orca's + Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE
PSU Corsair 520hx
OS Windows 7 64-bit
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
HDD Hitachi 1Tb
Invisible is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 119
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

well, the games i play would run perfectly on the Q6600 and i've been waiting for months for things to get cheap...i'll probably build now and just oc the proc a little
__________________

Cheeseking25 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medium computer upgrade. muman System Upgrades 6 09-14-2007 04:53 PM
Upgrade Advice for my system Cheeseking25 New Systems | Building and Buying 2 07-25-2007 02:28 PM
To upgrade? or not to upgrade? wumbo6 New Systems | Building and Buying 12 06-11-2007 12:07 AM
GPU, upgrade now or wait? TheDiceman New Systems | Building and Buying 21 05-04-2007 05:49 PM
Vista Upgrade? Saynt25 Microsoft Windows and Software 4 04-18-2007 04:48 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.