wait or upgrade now? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 119
Default wait or upgrade now?

Hi. I am building a new system (soon) and am trying to decide wheter to wait for intel's new 45nm procs to come out in jan. or to just build it now with a Q6600. What is the overclocking potential of this proc and is it worth the wait till jan for the penryns? (Until then im stuck with a Pentium D 820 and a Geforce 6800 so u can see why i want to upgrade soon )
__________________

Cheeseking25 is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 53
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

yeah well i am using my celeron 300mhz with a voodoo agp video card
__________________

96z28 is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 01:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired.
 
peterhuang913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8,076
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28 View Post
yeah well i am using my celeron 300mhz with a voodoo agp video card
That has nothing to do with this thread.

If you can wait, try waiting, it'll be fun.
__________________


My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
peterhuang913 is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 53
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

sure it does
96z28 is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 01:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gears of War King
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Under a rock...
Posts: 770
Send a message via AIM to MaV II DARK II
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28 View Post
sure it does
someone has an urge to get banned...
MaV II DARK II is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 01:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Uniontown, PA
Posts: 4,153
Send a message via AIM to Sora
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

He's basically telling him to wait becuase look what he's using...it's kind of close to the topic really.
__________________
E6300 w/ Arctic Freezer Pro 7 @ 3.6ghz 1.4Vcore
Antec 900 Case
EVGA 750i FTW Mobo
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Sora is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 01:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,078
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

Your system isn't really old. Myself I would wait a little. Just don't get stuck in the waiting game because your end up waiting forever.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Now I lay my computer down to sleep, I pray the hard drive my files to keep, If I should lose power before I save, I pray the hard drive my backups to take"
The Techies' Bible - Dario 1:1
dario03 is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 01:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 242
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

if you see yourself being content for a long time with the q6600, i would go for it. I was in the exact same situation as you just yesterday. I decided to buy now because even though I could get something better in 4 months, I would be stuck having nothing for 4 months. I'm willing to lose some money to prevent that.

besides, the Q6600 will keep me more than happy until something comes where I will never have to buy anything again.

lol
Sirius_GTO is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseking25 View Post
Hi. I am building a new system (soon) and am trying to decide wheter to wait for intel's new 45nm procs to come out in jan. or to just build it now with a Q6600. What is the overclocking potential of this proc and is it worth the wait till jan for the penryns? (Until then im stuck with a Pentium D 820 and a Geforce 6800 so u can see why i want to upgrade soon )
this is what everybody is doing... atleast on the forum anyways.... they wanna build now and upgrade... and doing this will let you do both:

e2180 (this holds people for a while because of its overclocking ability)
p35-ds3l
crucial ballistix 2gb Kit ddr2-800
Corsair 520 or 550
some case (choose to your liking)
320GB Seagate Barracuda (change this to your liking)
2900pro or gts (your choice again)

and then upgrade to a 45nm Yorkfield
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 10-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: wait or upgrade now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
this is what everybody is doing... atleast on the forum anyways.... they wanna build now and upgrade... and doing this will let you do both:

e2180 (this holds people for a while because of its overclocking ability)
p35-ds3l
crucial ballistix 2gb Kit ddr2-800
Corsair 520 or 550
some case (choose to your liking)
320GB Seagate Barracuda (change this to your liking)
2900pro or gts (your choice again)

and then upgrade to a 45nm Yorkfield
You forgot the most important part....power supply...

I would suggest the Corsair 550VX. Can power any system, and then some, for future upgrades.
__________________

__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medium computer upgrade. muman System Upgrades 6 09-14-2007 04:53 PM
Upgrade Advice for my system Cheeseking25 New Systems | Building and Buying 2 07-25-2007 02:28 PM
To upgrade? or not to upgrade? wumbo6 New Systems | Building and Buying 12 06-11-2007 12:07 AM
GPU, upgrade now or wait? TheDiceman New Systems | Building and Buying 21 05-04-2007 05:49 PM
Vista Upgrade? Saynt25 Microsoft Windows and Software 4 04-18-2007 04:48 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.