To Wait or not to wait? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
gone
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,051
Send a message via AIM to Gabb
Default To Wait or not to wait?

So I hear the big day for processors is July 22nd where the new prices are listed as here: Intel Core 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've really been waiting long enough however, and really want a new system within the next week or two. I was wondering, when these new processors come out will they really be listed at those prices? Or marked up cause their new? ( Well the new line of core 2 duos are new, not the old quad core 2 duos )

Is it really that worth it to wait? I mean is 1333 FSB and 4 MiB L2 in the Core 2 Duo E6750 going to make it annihilate the old core 2 duo e6700?

I'm really not too interested in the quad cores...
__________________

Gabb is offline  
Old 06-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Patron
 
saltynay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast, Singapore
Posts: 5,149
Default Re: To Wait or not to wait?

lol in the tech world you can always wait there is always going to be something newer and better coming out in a month but an e6600 overclocked would be an instant fix and as far as I have heard likely to be faster then intels new processors aswell
__________________

__________________
saltynay is offline  
Old 06-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: To Wait or not to wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
lol in the tech world you can always wait there is always going to be something newer and better coming out in a month but an e6600 overclocked would be an instant fix and as far as I have heard likely to be faster then intels new processors aswell
true very true, but WolfDale will use the 45nm process and have more cache but i prefer an e6600 now....... and overclock it to the max....
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 06-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
gone
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,051
Send a message via AIM to Gabb
Default Re: To Wait or not to wait?

Should I get an e6600 and overclock it, or get an e6700 and overclock it? An e6700 is only 100 dollars more, but does it have more overclocking potential then an e6600?
Gabb is offline  
Old 06-05-2007, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: To Wait or not to wait?

Nope, they both have similar overclocking potential. The e6700 is just not worth the extra $100.
__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Patron
 
saltynay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast, Singapore
Posts: 5,149
Default Re: To Wait or not to wait?

get an e6600 and a thermaltake ultra 120 buy some artic cooling mx-1 thermal paste or if you want to go extreme performance a phase cooler of course thats only if you have $500 just lying around
__________________
saltynay is offline  
Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator
 
Nagasama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: probably on the lake
Posts: 6,956
Default Re: To Wait or not to wait?

whats that new c2d that will have the 4mb cache?
6320 or what?
going from a 6300 to a 6600 that is the bulk of what you are paying for...
if you have a good mobo that can handle the high fsb, then you can have high $$ performance for cheap. cheep cheep.
ie the lower multi chip can handle the same high frequency as the high dollar, high multi chip.
you guys know i'm no intel expert..help me out, am i right?
__________________
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Nagasama is offline  
Old 06-06-2007, 02:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
gone
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,051
Send a message via AIM to Gabb
Default Re: To Wait or not to wait?

So I guess the general concensus is that its not worth it to wait...but will the processors be the advertised prices when they come out? Or is there some kind of mark up? ( Sorta like when ATI new R600 card came out and it was higher in price just cause it was new )
Gabb is offline  
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
siddanth3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: manchester, NH
Posts: 395
Default Re: To Wait or not to wait?

i would wait if i were u, but thats just me, coz in about a month and half, u will get a quad core processor for the price u'll pay with a e6600 right now
__________________
Antec 900
P4 prescott @3ghz HT 775
ViewSonic 20.1" lcd display + Samsung SyncMaster 2253
Corsair 2x512mb ddr2 533
FoxConn M7VMX-K LGA 775
FPS 400watt
WD 640 GB + WD 320 GB
Western Digital My Book 320gb
Evga 7900 GS
Sound Blaster Audigy
Logitech Navigation Keyboard
Razer Diamondback Plasma Blue
siddanth3 is offline  
Old 06-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baron5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: To Wait or not to wait?

if u wait ull be waiting for sumthin else shortly after. i think its better to just get wen u need and never look bak.

but i would get a e6600 and a tuniq/thermalright ultra and o/c till the cows come home. not sure on thermal paste as5 is still very good but mx-1 or cool labs one is even better.
__________________

__________________
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

baron5 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bought the other parts, just need to wait for the newegg parts :D pinoy3000 New Systems | Building and Buying 4 05-26-2007 09:24 AM
Should i wait to get a videocard? truegamer129 PC Gaming 29 05-08-2007 02:55 PM
GPU, upgrade now or wait? TheDiceman New Systems | Building and Buying 21 05-04-2007 05:49 PM
Case: Bite on a good deal or wait? mrfluffles New Systems | Building and Buying 3 03-27-2007 07:49 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.