Vista install - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Vista install

Hi everyone,

I just went through a clean install of Vista last night and I figured I would share some problems I had. Luckily, not too much went wrong.

The first problem was after the initial windows install screen, it goes to a vista background screen and sits there for a bit. Actually, it takes too long. I though the computer was frozen because there was no DVD-ROM or HDD light indicator telling me it was doing anything. Answer, be patient.

The next problem I had was with partitioning. The OS picked up the SATA drives no problem, but I wanted to create a 70 GB partition for the OS and keep my data separate. Well, after you create a partition and use the Format function, again, there is no indication of the format. The screen just freezes for a few seconds and goes back to listing the partition as Primary. Now, when I had a 70 formated partition, it did not allow me to continue with the install. It thew an error saying saying something like 'Windows does not recognize a partition with valid requirements.' I played with it a little but could not get it to go. I ended up restarting the Install and tried it again, negative. At that point, I just partitioned and formated the entire drive, that took.

Next things were my mobo and GPU drivers. Both of the CD's did not have Vista drivers on them. I had to go to EVGA and dl the GPU drivers for a 64-bit OS, which worked great. That install went in flawless. The mobo was left as is. EVGA says that the Vista drivers should sustain all of the boards functionalities. We'll see.

So, that is all I have for now. My hardware config is all out of the box. I haven't done ant OC'ing yet. As everyone knows, the OS looks really nice and runs really smooth. I am currently running stress tests on the CPU and memory. If anyone has a question or comment, please let me know.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Vista install

Yeah I had the same issue with the install screen not doing anything for a long time.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to plumber4578 Send a message via MSN to plumber4578
Default Re: Vista install

I know what you mean. I thought somthing was going wrong to when I installed Vista. I instsalled Vista 64 with no problems. So far not too many complaints. I can't install F.E.A.R. though and run a couple programs. So far I am more satisfied with this OS from Microsoft than any previous versions this early in the game.
My puter:
CPU - INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
MEM - 4 GB (1BGX4) G.SKILL PC2 6400
HD - 2 SAMSUNG 500GB 7200 RPM
OS - Windows Vista 64Bit
Closed Thread