Vista? DX10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcceptMyName

Beta member
If I buy a computer now (which I am going to do within the month probably), should I bother with windows64bit? Or should I just get regular xp and upgrade to vista when it comes out? Will I need any new hardware to run vista? Ie a dx10 compatable card...diff mobo...ect?

Then, in regards to dx10, when do you think games will actually make use of them in a significant way? Two years from now? Should I go ahead and just get the graphics card I want now, or should I go light and jump on the bandwagon as soon as the dx10 cards come out?

I've read a lot of the forums lately, you guys do great work and I'm slowly putting my dream computer together with all of your help (silently until now :p ) Thanks!
Jack

I'm not going to go into a huge post here, mainly because i'm going to bed, but here are my thoughts.

Don't bother with WIN 64bit. There aren't too many drivers & programs that support it at this point. 64bit OS mainstream ins't going to happen for a few more years.

As far as windows vista goes, forget about vista for atleast another 2 years until it's patched and repatched and we can get a better idea of what hardware is going to be required. DX10 will come with Vista, so don't think about it until you are thinking about Vista.

As far as a videocard goes, wait another month or so. The NVIDIA G71's will be available (7900 Series). When it's out compare it to the X1900XT. Then buy one of the 2.

Good luck with your dream PC.

What he said. Its to early and ppl are already overating Vista. For the next 2 years it would be nice to NOT hear about it but oh well word gets out i guess. Get somethin now and youll be happy. In 2 years upgrade for Vista.

hrmm well i've been reading about vista.. and you DO NOT have to have dx10.. or 9... thats only if you want its "cool" 3d features

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6143883/index.html
just take a look there.. put in less smarter terms for people like me who don't want to read too much...

and my 2 cents.. go with xp if your making it next month... get a 7 series... i don't know if you'll really need the 7900... considering the geforce 8 will be out near the end of the year and its probably gonna cost a fortune... get something cheaper like a 7800 gt... to hold you off until the 8 series.. thats what i'm doing.. only with 2 6800 gs's... at the moment.. i'm stuck with 1....

NosBoost300 said:
hrmm well i've been reading about vista.. and you DO NOT have to have dx10.. or 9... thats only if you want its "cool" 3d feature

You should read the article again. DX10 comes along with MS Vista. You can only take advantage of Vistas Enhanced GUI features and DX10 performance if you have a DX10 videocard. If you don't then DX9 with any current mid-highend card will work fine.

DX10 would be the only real draw for me at this point for a new OS.

AS far as GUI stuff goes, I can change every GUI on my WIN XP to look exactly like Vista... It's not that impressive..

All games coming out currently are requiring DX9 to play period because they install their own stuff for their specific graphics. DX10 will be an option but not long after 2007.

1. Are these bashings of XP x64 supported in any way, do you use it or are these just ramblings?

2. Vista will not require DX10 and it is possible to get the "cool features" without DX10. I've been using these "cool features" for months. For clarification to use these "cool features" as the requirements stat you only need a 64 meg non integrated video card. ;)

By cool features I think he means the graphical features in video games that direct x 10 will offer... not the windows gui features or anything like that. People are getting too worked up about the whole windows thing, do what you want it doesnt really matter. Windows vista will definitly be better so I dont want to read some illogical bashing statement, but yes it will probably have a slew of bugs when it first comes out. Just go for xp pro or home for now, not sure about xp64 and software compatibility.

Mr_Threepwood I'll give you that the requirements I gave were for the best of the GUI features but as for the game features offered in Vista I'm not aware of it requireing anything of your video card. From what I read MS is only giving those features to people who buy the Premium Edition of the OS.

"1. Are these bashings of XP x64 supported in any way, do you use it or are these just ramblings?"

Supported by the fact that X64 costs you $150 and gives people fits because it doesn't support all their stuff and gives you no increase in performance, absolutley pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom