video editing and hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

devil_warrior

In Runtime
ok i basically want the fastest transitions and i have an idea for a hard drive setup but i want to know if it would work to my advantage

1 320gb hard drive for storage
2 74gb 10,000rpm hard drives in raid 0 with the operating system,games and programs on it.

now i use Vegas 5.0 for video editing so lets say i put that on my raid 0 drives now when i use videos from the big drive with Vegas does the program operate at the 7200 rpm of the storage drive or the 10,000rpm drives?

any help is very valuable thanks

3 SCSI Drives in RAID 5 would be faster, but thats alot more expensive also.

If the program files are stored on the 320GB/7200K drive then it won't read files faster.

You can't add a differen't speeded Harddrive to a RAID. All drives must be indetical in speed.

Further more when you do youll have to reformat all 3 drives because you simply cannot add a HD to a already functioning RAID.

i was intending on putting the programs and os on the faster 74gb hard drives not the 320gb one. will the files read faster if they are on the faster one?

and cant i have 2 hard drives configured in RAID 0 and 1 other not in RAID? ill have 3 hard drives in total (just to clear any confusion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom