Video Editing Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boma

In Runtime
I'm used to making gaming builds, but new to video editing builds. Looking to spend $1000 or less.

Can you guys help me build a good video editing machine? Mainly used for camcorder rips to the hard driving using Visual Studio (Corel)

I found a build here that looks pretty good. It uses a 3ware 4port sataII raid card.

Cerise Quad-Core Workstation Computer System

Newegg.com - 3ware 9650SE-4LPML PCI Express Lanes: 4 SATA II Controller Card RAID Levels 0, 1, 5, 10, Single Disk, JBOD - Controllers / RAID Cards

I don't have time to put together a rig but for what your needs seem to be, I don't think you need to waste your money on hardware RAID. The software raid on your mobo will do just fine if you want RAID.

I don't have time to put together a rig but for what your needs seem to be, I don't think you need to waste your money on hardware RAID. The software raid on your mobo will do just fine if you want RAID.

My boss noticed some skipping during the rip. Would software raid be enough to solve the problem? If so that would be great. If it isn't the HDD's what could it be that is causing this?

The pc we're using is:

P4 3.4
2GB DDR
Sata HDD
Gigabyte 945P-G mobo
6600 AGP video card
Generic PSU
Corel Visual Studio

For a video editing job you want cache and don't really need a video card. For $1k you could probably get a core i7 and a low end or midrange video card. That would serve him much better. The Q8200 simply has no place in video encoding.

Most editing programs that I've used take advantage of all 4 cores so cache isn't too much of a factor. I looked at boards and the cpu and a board is gonna be around $500. Also Corel is a low end video editing program that doesn't require a whole lot in the way of anything to run, so in the interest of saving money, the q8200 is a nice little cpu.

I don't think it's worth it to spend another $120 or so on Corel.. The system requirements are extremely low, and the only thing a faster cache processor will do is help the encoding go faster, and with the q8200 it will be going pretty fast already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom