video card upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

chump

Baseband Member
Firstly im looking to spend 100-200 ($)
Second(ly), here are my specs
Memory:DDR3 8gb all together, CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955, Mobo:Newegg.com - Open Box: GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Hard drives: 2x WD black 750gb
current video card: SAPPHIRE radeon hd 4830 1gb
PSU: Cosair 750w
Windows 7 64bit

and now I kinda want to stick with Sapphire but I do not have to, At first i was thinking get another 4830 but maybe i should upgrade to directx11 and plus its hard to find a 4830 1gb online. so i am thinking of getting a 5770 1gb and maybe in the future grabbing another to crossfire that instead.

i was looking at Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100283FLEX Radeon HD 5770 FleX 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

or should i stick with the normal version?

any suggestions or better options are appreciated.:big_grin:

(ignore my sig for now)

agreed, if you've got the money to put into it max your budget for the GPU. if you can drop around 200 on it, do it. then in the future instead of adding another mid range card in the 5770 you can pay a bit more, probably a matter of 30-50 bucks more, and get another 6850.

Hmm the 6850 does seem nice..just wondering whats different from pci 2.0 and 2.1? I've got a full sized tower so I'm sure room is no problem.

from another forum post:
PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned to be fully implemented in PCI Express 3.0. However, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0.

thanks. So i am thinking should i throw out an extra $20 (but get it back in the rebate) and get this card instead: XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 (or the sapphire version)

Newegg.com - XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

This card is ranked higher and it only costs alittle more. Would my PSU (Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply) handle this and is everything able to work with it?

yup, that's a great PSU and the card is definitely worth the 20 bucks, even if you don't get it back from the rebate :p

thanks again, i just like to have someone's opinion. So quick question, for the newegg or xfx rebate...is the expiration date for just buying the product or for sending in the rebate?

you've got 30 days from buying the card to send in the MIR, you just have to buy it before the 15th to get the MIR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom