Video card updating

Status
Not open for further replies.
right, but you guys have to realize to SLI an 8800 would be 150 bux, why would i buy a new 4850? I would think a SLI 8800 GTS would blow away a single 4850. Perhaps I am mistaken. I guess if the 4850 was 1 gig of mem then it would be worth it and you wouldn't have to worry about keep two cards at a cool temp. I've just heard SLI can be a super pain in the *** and you don't really get as much performance as one would think.

But i don't know, in the long run i see Nvidia coming out ahead once again. ATi was only really good around the first radeon GPUs and then Nvidia slowly took the market and performance back. I think Nvidia will take over again with their next gen cards.

I couldn't agree more! Nvidia has the best cards right now (gtx280) just no one can afford it. Two nvidia cards in SLI will outperform a single 4850. I'd reccomend the 9800gtx+. its about 200 which I think is in your price range?? And when it drops you can get a 2nd one in SLI and your speeds will be awesome.

yea thresh, but i already own an 8800 GTS so it would only be 150 bux right now, where as if i got a 9800 for 200 id need to get another to SLI it.

I'm probably gonna wait at least a month anyways, hopefully the GTX prices drop by then.

hmm.. welll one 9800gtx+ is going to give u better performance than u have now, which is what you are looking for. Then as the prices drop you can get an even sweeter computer. Your call though, lookup on youtube 8800 GTS, might be a review on its performance in SLI.

yea i dunno, the only game i own right now that would benefit from a better card would be Crysis, and that game is balls. I don't really need a new card, i've just been on the comp upgrade train lately.

I'll probably just get a fresh new card in like 2 or 3 months. Hopefully a 1 gig GTX.

2x 8800GTS 640mb is not better than a 4850. And as for the 9800GTX+ and the 4850, its pretty much preference now.

Plus if you have the option between one single card vs two cards at the same performance then you always go for the single card. Sell your 8800GTS and buy a 4850 or 9800GTX+.

Ok... 8800GTS G80... is a very outdated card.. not worth $100 bucks let alone $150, 8800GS gets same or better performance while consuming less power and running way cooler.

Two of them in SLi is a bit less than an 8800 Ultra in performance... HD 4850 > or = 9800GTX+ > 9800GTX > 8800Ultra

Just stick with what you have or get a way better card now, SLi has too much hassle, and nobody on this forum cares for two powersucking 8800 G80's in their rigs

Well said Vernong. I couldn't agree more, sides the fact I would have put 9800GTX+ > or = HD 4850. ;) haha

cool thanks guys, yea i'll probably just wait and get a sick new nvidia soon.

and i'm not here to impress people, i'm here to make my rig what i need.

I'm sort of in the same spot as you, though I've got the 8600 series so not quite as good as yours. Getting a video card with 1 gig of memory is sort of a waste though. As of now no games really use more than 512, and probably won't for awhile. Your card is still a pretty badass card but what I've been told is that in SLI the 9600s perform better. Me personally, I think I'm going to get a 9800 and when they drop in price more eventually do SLI with that. Depending on your budget you could look into a 9800 gx2 which is two gpus on 1 card. or the gtx280 which is expensive but pretty much the best card out right now.

its not so much using 1gb of memory, its that they put 1gb on a reference card that was desgined for maybe a 512mb of ram, with maybe a 256bit interface. you cant just put an extra 512mb on there and expect a card to use it to its full potential, its just a marketing gimmick.

also i dunno how many times i say this, but i agree with vernong sli is not an ideal choice, not only becuase driver support usually lacks, but u may get a great performance increase ( still nowhere near 100%) but the resale value is very bad. and as soon as the new cards out that is the same as sli/Xfire (4870x2) ur left with 2 cards noones wants that u paid alot for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom