Video card or something else DOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

In Runtime
How can you check if a video card or something else is broken or not working correctly?
I just built a computer and I need to figure out if everything is working correctly.
I think the video card is messed up.
How can I check if its messed up, or if its just the drivers?
Same with other parts of the computer.
Thanks.

Running 8800GTS, evga 750i sli ftw mobo, 4gb of ram

I heard there were a lot of problems with 8800GTS and evga 750i sli ftw mobo's...anyone else experiencing this?

Well, according to what he's been telling me, he experiences crashes in all his games, 3dMark06 won't work and error's out, and he occasionally has the screen go blank on him and then pop back up with a message saying "You have experienced Video failure but have recovered" or something close to that.

He's running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Before he was telling me that none of the USB ports worked, not even the built-in motherboard ones, but I don't know if that has still been an issue since he reinstalled Vista. The video/game related issues are all post re installation.

I ran f.e.a.r combat for a while with no problems sort of. Then it crashed and said "Video driver failure but has recovered" or something like that.

I ran Crysis the demo, and...lets just say, I ran it on full settings and it wouldn't even move, I'm talking 1-2 fps, and it froze and said driver failure.
So, I kept doing this trying 3 different drivers, older ones.(Uninstalled old ones of course)
Each one had problems running crysis.
The one that got the farthest and seem to run the best was the one I have now.
But I couldn't run crysis at full settings.
I ran crysis at 1024x768 at max settings and it was pretty twitchy, and eventually as I was going through the demo I had driver failure again.
So, I think this video card is messed up.

And like SurgeVel said, I'll run 3dMark06 and sometimes it'll just give me 1-2 FPS and then start twitching and it'll come up with some error and my video card gets the same message from vista saying "Driver failure but has recovered" or something similiar.
But at other times, 3d mark has ran completely through.
But the majority of the time it crashes and gives me errors. One time after crashing it gave me the error and my whole screen went fuzzy and everything obliverated. Couldn't read a thing on the screen.
How do I check if its DOA?
My motherboard doesen't have onboard video, but it seems to run fine doing normal things such as browsing the internet,(Though it has came up with the driver failure doing just that also).
Anyone know?

And my USB ports are working, the camera plug I was using was messed up. So, I got it to work with a USB mouse.

Also when installing the drivers that arrived with my video card, vista just refuses to load, it gets to the microsoft corporation screen, then goes black and nothing loads.
So I tried nvidia drivers and they keep failing. Should I try the MSI(My video card) website drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom