which video card should I get?

weezie_view

Solid State Member
Ok so im currently in the middle of a build... im looking for a graphics card that'll suit my needs... here are the parts im running...

Asus z87 gryphon mobo
intel haswell i5 4670k
corsair vengence 8gb 1600 memory
ocz 550watt psu
1tb seagate hhd
180gb seagate ssd

I will be doin some gaming and video/sound recording and editing... let me know ur opinions... thanks in advance..

What case are you putting this in? I would reconsider the Asus board for something slightly cheaper like the ASRock Extrme3 Z87 and rethink that PSU.

For the PSU I would swap for this.
SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

They also don't make a 180GB Seagate SSD. If you're talking about their 240GB then I would reconsider that for this Samsung EVO 250GB instead.
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

If your max budget for the GPU really is 200, then the best card you can get for that money is this.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R927XOC-2GD Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

What case are you putting this in? I would reconsider the Asus board for something slightly cheaper like the ASRock Extrme3 Z87 and rethink that PSU.

For the PSU I would swap for this.
SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

They also don't make a 180GB Seagate SSD. If you're talking about their 240GB then I would reconsider that for this Samsung EVO 250GB instead.
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

If your max budget for the GPU really is 200, then the best card you can get for that money is this.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R927XOC-2GD Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Yes, ill be putting this into a corsair 350d which is made for micro atx boards and smaller boards only.. which is why I chose the asus board. .. as far as the psu, I like the full modular psu's and thats why I chose this one... its a little weak for what I would like but I do not want to over spend on a psu... especially it being fully modular... and yes I meant 240 gb... but whats the difference between the two brands of ssd other than 10gb? As far as the video card, im kinda leaning towards invidia cards...

Save yourself 40 bucks for the same performance and reliability.
Newegg.com - ASRock Z87M Extreme4 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

The PSU is the one place you don't want to cheap on, and for that I cannot recommend any OCZ unit due to their reliability issues lately and their financial situation. If you want fully modular they sell the M1211 620 which is slightly more expensive but well worth the extra cost considering you won't have to ever upgrade it for years unless you go overboard with dual GPUs (like high end dual).

The EVO series is cheaper and is built to last an exceptionally long time. Also, although I trust Seagate every bit on their HDDs I'm not fully sold on their SSD line yet. I'm waiting my usual time to give a yay or nay to recommending them. Since you get less space for more money it's only wise to go with the Samsung anyways since they are tried and true.

The best Nvidia card you can get for 200 bucks happens to be the GTX660. I didn't recommend it simply because the 270x is faster. If you still prefer Nvidia, this is the card to get.
Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-3063-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card w/ ACX Cooler

Yes I was actually looking into the asrock z87 extreme4 board also but the reason I chose the asus is because I can get it local at the local frys for a discounted price.. lol... but as far as the psu goes, I will definetly look into upgrading it soon cause I have been reading bout its bad reviews on other psu's... definetly look into seasonic... I believe newegg as a deal on the seasonic ss-660 right now for 100 bucks... I might pick that one up... and as for the gpu goes. .. ill definetly look into both the invidia and ati cards u recommended... thanks again

Well if you can get the Asus board cheaper then that's cool. I prefer ASRock these days because Asus has lost touch with their customers IMO so I will not support them.
As for the PSU, just don't buy the OCZ whatever you do. If you're gonna buy a PSU go with a nice Seasonic or Corsair (not CX). My go to units for budget builds are the S1211 620 I linked above and the TX650. Anything above those are great too.

Back
Top Bottom