Video card or new rig upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanto

Daemon Poster
I was looking this couple of day.. thinking and analyzing what should I do with my PC (specs are below). I was thinking in selling my PC except the HD & the case, and buy a Core 2 Duo (E6600), 8800GTS (640mb), and upgrade the others parts etcetera. But the problem is that I'm in a very limited budget. (around $500)

I have two choices here:

1. Squeeze money by selling my PC and see what else I can do to buy everything for the new rig.

2. Or not buy the new rig and stay with my PC (which is no more old than 1 year & half.) and buy the 8800GTS 640mb supercloked when the price drops a little more.

I want to play games with max setting etcetera thats my main reason to upgrade because right now playing games in 1680 x 1050 is almost impossible for me, in a 22" inch monitor that I got for Christmas.

I am a little frightened about the fact that when DX10 games comes out my PC can't handle them.
If anyone can give me some good advice that would be nice because right now I don't know what to do.

Thank you for your time guys :) .

card first...X2's arent slow.

Also, save some money and don't get the Superclocked version as you can overclock yours higher than that easy.

Ok, I will go for the card then :) . I don't know about overclocking.. is not that I don't like it but I have try and try and never got it right.

I have even read some very helpful guides about overclocking but no luck at all with the CPU and the Video card.
This past weeks I have been trying and I manage to get the system stable but when I start watching movies in media player the computer start acting weird the monitor screen goes blue for a 1 sec and the returns to normal sometimes if I remember correct the computer just freeze or restart itself.

Overclocking video cards are so incredibly simple compared to CPU's which require more time and a lot more different settings.

Download Riviatuner 2.0 and find Forceware Drivers for your card and it's as as easy as moving the slider up and hitting Test

yeah i would buy the card, as someone else said the X2's are pretty quick, not as quick as some of the Core 2 duo's but still enough to be decent in new games if you have a fast graphics card, heck even i can play new games like battlefield 2142, fear etc at max settings and get good FPS with my 7950GT 512MB

yeah i would buy the card, as someone else said the X2's are pretty quick, not as quick as some of the Core 2 duo's but still enough to be decent in new games if you have a fast graphics card, heck even i can play new games like battlefield 2142, fear etc at max settings and get good FPS with my 7950GT 512MB

Yes, I was reading and seeing some charts of CPU and video cards comparison and the 4800 X2 is pretty quick like some of you guys have said, there is really no need for me to break my head trying to look for more money for a new rig with a fast Video card I can finally play games a 1680 x 1050 :) .
Now I just only need to wait until the new cards comes out so prices go down :rolleyes: .

Overclocking video cards are so incredibly simple compared to CPU's which require more time and a lot more different settings.

Download Riviatuner 2.0 and find Forceware Drivers for your card and it's as as easy as moving the slider up and hitting Test

Yes but remember that after that you have to run some benchmarks and look for any artifact in it etcetera.

I actually let a few artifacts appear in my ATI tool becuase they are no where near noticeable in games. My 7900GS doesn't artifact until 610 and it doesn't severely artifact until around 625 or so So I keep it at 620 core clock becuase I see no artifacts in the games.

my 7900gs seems to start acting funny if i go core over 550...
memory over 825...
i dunno, i have messed with the file structure of bf2 so much that i may just need to reinstall the whole game, lol.
which brings up an important question....
if i do that, will i have to start all over with my badges, rank, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom