Video Card Mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDSCOrPiO

Daemon Poster
Im looking at some video cards i wanna buy but i noticed that the 256mb cards are way more expencive, i have a 128mb right now, what does the mb actually do.

It stores graphics textures. Depending on what GFX card you're talking about, I say go with the 128MB card, since the memory plays a very small role in how well the graphics card performs.

magouster said:
It stores graphics textures. Depending on what GFX card you're talking about, I say go with the 128MB card, since the memory plays a very small role in how well the graphics card performs.

That depends on how big the textures are, and how many textures there are in the game/program you are using. If you have tons of large textures, than the 128mb card will have to render them everytime you look at a different set of textures. With a 256mb card, you could have stored those other textures and you wouldn't have to render them again.

The memory size plays a large roll in how fast the card is. Not for benchmarking, but in a game scenario...the more memory you have, the less rendering you'll have to do, and therefore the faster you will be.

I think this is the only time I would recommend an ATI over nVidia GFX card. Go for the X1600, pretty sure you'd see better performance in games. But don't expect blistering performance. But look into a nVidia 7600GS or 128MB 6600GT or 6800 if you could afford it, better than the 2 cards you picked!

That depends on how big the textures are, and how many textures there are in the game/program you are using. If you have tons of large textures, than the 128mb card will have to render them everytime you look at a different set of textures. With a 256mb card, you could have stored those other textures and you wouldn't have to render them again.

In a hypothetical example, I would rather have a 128MB 7900GT than a 512MB 6600GT. Memory makes a difference, but not as big a difference as CrazeD would have you believe. As for rendering, the card has to render everything displayed on-screen, regardless of whether it has the textures cached in the memory. So he has the right idea, just the wrong facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom