video card help please........... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2006, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default video card help please...........

first i was going to wait a while to bother with upgrades, but now I've decided that I want to upgrade now, even though vista and DX10 is coming out soon.

Will DX9 not work with vista? I guess I'll stick with XP for 2 more years, spend 200 on a 6800GS.

Whats a better deal, evga 6800GS @ 425MHz/1000MHz for $169 after rebate or the one for 199 at 490/1100?

I looked at pics between the 2 and think the cooling system is the same, copper heatsink & same looking fan I think.

So, the one for 169 should be safe to OC to those speeds?

Last thing is my power supply is Aspire 420 watt and it powered my 6600GT fine, is it good enough for a 6800GS? I really hope so, I don't want to have to spend any more $$$$.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Stick with eVGA they look after their customers in support and their quality is rather good. Also offer innovative upgrades like the step up program.

<form action=\"\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 01-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

To the above poster: They're both eVGA products. EVGA recently released an overclocked version of the 6800gs.

To the original poster: I looked at the 6800gs for $169 after rebate. This is at newegg, correct? If you look closer at the rebate, you actually have to buy the 6800gs AND an EVGA Intel motherboard. So, unless you're planning on buying the mobo too, the $169 doesn't apply to you.

I'm sure you'll want to clarify this for yourself, so here's the link:

But for $189, the GS is still a great card. I just bought one myself.
Completed 1st System:
Case...Antec Super LanBoy $30
PSU...Antec SP2.0 500W $50
Mobo...MSI K8N Neo4-F $85
CPU...Athlon 64 3200+ Venice $162
Video...EVGA GeForce 6800 GS $196
Memory...OCZ 1GB (512MB x 2) $60
Hard Drive...Hitachi 80GB $20
Gaming without lag...priceless.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Vista will work on older systems dude... Bill will not make you spend 900$ on a graphics card to get his OS to work. You just need dx10 to get the special fx.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

yes, newegg, and I wouldn't buy anything but EVGA, good service.

I think since the rebate is only for buying a mobo with it I'll go for the overclocked one, I know how to OC but don't want to mess with it and I'm thinking maybe it comes with better cooling to compensate for the higher clock speeds.

The last question is about the power supply, will mine be good enough?

Closed Thread