video card debacle (<- love that word) - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: video card debacle (<- love that word)

I would consider looking at the ddc pumps with top as they use less room and are a little more efficient than the d5.

DDC Pump
XSPC top

or
XSPC resi top

Also a good read for water cooling.
Water Cooling 101 An In-Depth Guide to Taking the Plunge.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 04-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

If he's gonna OC on the q9550 and having the 4870x2, I'd still recommend the d5 vario, only because it puts out a lot more power, it a little more than doubles the PSI output of the 355. With a new top it's a good choice, but still I'd go with the d5 vario. The vario allows for variable power, 1-5. 1 being the lowest, 5 being the strongest. And so you can crank it up for gaming and if you're OC'd, and lower it for idling purposes.

That's just my view, aspire can shed some more light on the subject.

Actually. I looked at some numbers, and with the top (XPSC top) that'd be a good combo. It has a really good flow rate, but part of me still likes the fact that you can adjust the flow rate and all that good stuff on the d5.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
TeH ViZarD

Send a message via AIM to PanzerKammander

I like it, a question though.. do you think a single loop is enough considering my gpu runs at like 50c idle 70+ under load?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

are you gonna oc the card/cpu?
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
TeH ViZarD

cpu definitely... gpu probably not as it already runs ridiculously hot. ie right now.. 53c idle.. xD
Old 04-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

I wouldn't do it. Best case scenario, you'll be pushing around 1.2 gallons per minute which is pretty bad and with your gpu running fairly hot standard, and if you OC your cpu, there will be too much heat and not enough flow to circulate it fast enough to dissipate the heat. I'd go with 2 loops if you wanna put the CPU and GPU under water. If you wanna just do a single loop for the GPU then just take what I suggested and half it and look into hefe's pump as it's a good one.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
TeH ViZarD

Will do, I'll look into it more. I have access to a lot of various stuff out of grainger which is like an industrial supplier, I can get clamps and probably tubing cheaper through the company I work for, I'll just get them to order anything I need.