Video Card Advice for The Sims 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah a 9250 is going to be much slower than your current geforce 7050. The 4650 from Ebuyer recommended above looks just fine to me, that should be able to handle Sims 3 okay and it's about 50 quid. I don't know much about buying in the UK so I couldn't say how much more a 4750 or 4770 would run you but I think you'd be satisfied if that's what your budget is.

Ok thanks everyone. I've seen a few for sale on eBay, particularly a Radeon HD 3870 or HD 4870. Will any of those cards do? Also, will they be compatible with my motherboard in terms of fitting? I have the following:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

HD 3850 = HD 4670, but a HD 4670 would be a better pick because it doesn't take any FPS drop from AA mode, is smaller and it will run on even the crappiest PSU's...

HD 3870 is slightly faster, but consumes a lot more power than a HD 4670 (but its still not a lot, b/c HD 4670 doesn't even consume that much power)

HD 4870, I would want in your rig, because you just said 550w, and never mentioned a brand.. in a cheap brand PSU, I wouldn't risk overloading it..

HD 3850 = HD 4670, but a HD 4670 would be a better pick because it doesn't take any FPS drop from AA mode, is smaller and it will run on even the crappiest PSU's...

HD 3870 is slightly faster, but consumes a lot more power than a HD 4670 (but its still not a lot, b/c HD 4670 doesn't even consume that much power)

HD 4870, I would want in your rig, because you just said 550w, and never mentioned a brand.. in a cheap brand PSU, I wouldn't risk overloading it..

Ok so shall I go for a 4670? I have a 500W OCZ PSU

What NVIDIA Card would you recommend?

Do you know which Model of OCZ you have? (StealthXStream, GamerXStream, ModXStream or something?)

No nVidia card really "competes" with the HD 4670.. while the 9600GSO does have similar performance, while being slightly slower, it consumes a lot more power (because it uses the Power Connector).. the fastest nVidia card that doesn't use a Power connector would be the 8600GT; which mind you really really, in the nicest way possible, sucks

Plus AMD is really beating nVidia in almost every price segment, except maybe in the highest end segment, because their HD 4870X2 isn't as fast as the GTX 295

Do you know which Model of OCZ you have? (StealthXStream, GamerXStream, ModXStream or something?)

No nVidia card really "competes" with the HD 4670.. while the 9600GSO does have similar performance, while being slightly slower, it consumes a lot more power (because it uses the Power Connector).. the fastest nVidia card that doesn't use a Power connector would be the 8600GT; which mind you really really, in the nicest way possible, sucks

Plus AMD is really beating nVidia in almost every price segment, except maybe in the highest end segment, because their HD 4870X2 isn't as fast as the GTX 295

Oh right, thanks :] Its an OCZ StealthXStream

You should be fine with an HD 4870 running on there, but just for SIMS, its immensely overboard

You should be fine with an HD 4870 running on there, but just for SIMS, its immensely overboard

Ok. thanks for all of your help, really appreciated :] I've just realised the auction is for a HD 3870. I think it will go for about £15 becuase one earlier did, is it a good buy for £15?

well, for future reference, nvidia does have a "low Power" 9600GT. made especially to compete with the 4670. and does a good job too.

PC Perspective - Galaxy GeForce 9600 GT LP Review - Low Power, Low Profile

Review of Galaxy GeForce 9600GT Low Power Low Profile Edition - Expreview.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom