video card for 56' tv - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Geek Squad

No it does not, I have compared two identcal monitors one with VGA one wiht DVI and there is no discernable picture quality loss or gain with either one.

"Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power." ~Sun Tzu

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

“Omnis vir est fortunae faber”
Old 08-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

There is if the monitor is made for DVI.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 08-06-2006, 03:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Geek Squad

Umm, the monitor I am using in VGA is made for DVI and there is no difference.............. Yes I tried in both VGA and DVI

And ALL LCDs are made for DVI because their picture is digital instead of analog like CRTs

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

Old 08-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to infiltrator7

Quote:
Originally posted by JoshSB
Umm, the monitor I am using in VGA is made for DVI and there is no difference.............. Yes I tried in both VGA and DVI

And ALL LCDs are made for DVI because their picture is digital instead of analog like CRTs
well there is probably no difference because of the resolution, on a HDTV I'm sure it would make a difference.

And to The General, analog is not bad, it's just not as good as Digital.

And not all LCDs are made for DVI. I'm using a LCD monitor right now that only accepts a VGA input.

JOIN THE 24 ZONE FORUMS
Old 08-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
Geek Squad

Dude, mine only accepts a VGA as well, I ment that they are optimized to use a DVI connection due to the fact that the screen it displays is in digital format, not analog.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

Old 08-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

gotcha, my bad

JOIN THE 24 ZONE FORUMS
Old 08-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Okay, for future referance, when I say "=/=" that means "does not equal" and when I say "=" it means "equals."

I know analog can be just as good as digital, but in some cases (as stated above in my previous posts) analog is better.

Let me settle this DVI/VGA argument. I had an LCD that has a DVI input AND a VGA input. I plugged them both in and set it to clone mode, switched back and forth between the two and saw no difference. I consider myself to have a keen eye for quality.

They are the same quality.

Also, people seem to think that HDTV is super hi-res, but no. 1080p (the highest there is) is only 1940x1080. My monitor (with VGA) goes to 2048x1536 and works great.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Geek Squad

Hey guys, the ONLY reason a DVI hookup would be better is if the Analog signal was degraded, this can happen due to attenuation, interference on a non-shielded cable, or a just ****poor video card connection.

None of which happens these days considering the fact every VGA cable is shielded against interference, and the distance is no where near enough to cause attenuation (i think minimum is like 70-100 feet) and that the video cards have nice hookups these days.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

Old 08-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by The General
Okay, for future referance, when I say "=/=" that means "does not equal" and when I say "=" it means "equals."

I know analog can be just as good as digital, but in some cases (as stated above in my previous posts) analog is better.

Let me settle this DVI/VGA argument. I had an LCD that has a DVI input AND a VGA input. I plugged them both in and set it to clone mode, switched back and forth between the two and saw no difference. I consider myself to have a keen eye for quality.

They are the same quality.

Also, people seem to think that HDTV is super hi-res, but no. 1080p (the highest there is) is only 1940x1080. My monitor (with VGA) goes to 2048x1536 and works great.
yeah i know that =/= is "does not equal" that's why I said "analog is not bad"....

but whatever, I'm just saying that if DVI is available he should go with it.

JOIN THE 24 ZONE FORUMS
Old 08-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah, it's just that when I say something and someone says my name followed by the same thing I said, it seems that they misread me. No problem.

Closed Thread