VGA Card in Second PCI-E Slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grievearz

M.C. Etcher
I'm using a Gigabyte P35-DQ6 and it has two PCI-E slots. Is there any problem with using my single graphics card in the second slot? I'm thinking of getting an 8800GTS and want to get the cooler here: Petra's Tech Shop, and install it using option two (Having the heat sink part above my card so you can see it better and so it's in better airflow. The problem is there wouldn't be enough room unless I put it in slot two. Would there be any problems with that?

hmm...I've never given much thought about that. But it's usually recommended to use the slot, closest to the northbridge. It might work, it might not work.

hmm...I've never given much thought about that. But it's usually recommended to use the slot, closest to the northbridge. It might work, it might not work.

My old P5N-E had little arrows by the SLI bridge pointing up to the one closest to the top for single cards and then an arrow to the bottom for SLI enabled. So therefore I would highly recommend keeping the video card in the first slot. Also aren't those boards x16 and x1 always? Meaning if you put the card in the second slot I'm pretty sure no matter what it would only operate at x1 speeds....which isn't cool heh.

if you put the graphics card in the second pci-e slot it will only run at 8x because the first slot is designed to run the main graphics card and the second is really only there for SLI or if you want 4 screens etc

i wouldnt recommened trying that just leave it in slot one, thats where its meant to be. slot 2 is just an expansion slot for sli

if you put the graphics card in the second pci-e slot it will only run at 8x because the first slot is designed to run the main graphics card and the second is really only there for SLI or if you want 4 screens etc

once again the 650i boards were x16 in the first one and x8 in the second where as the P35 are only x16 and x1 in the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom