Very Confused about my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayvon

In Runtime
Hello everyone, Ive been thinking alot about what I have and just now getting into building PC's.

I want to list the things I have and please respond If it is a good setup or what not?

I want to know if it will last me awhile or what I can do to better my setup?

- Abit Kn8 Mobo,
Logi.Mx518 Mouse-Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard,
NEC 70gx2 17'LCD
eVga 7900gt Ko/Zalman.VF900,
AMD 3200/Zalman.7700Cu,
Samsung 250gb HDD,
and very old Kingston 512mb DDR SDRAM 184pin, and a old NANYA? 512mb.

I know it is not good to mix ram but my pc seems to be running normal? I heard that it doesnt really matter as long as it works and is able to play games.

- Can I mod or vmod anything with the mobo I have?

Actually, that looks pretty good.

The only things I would suggest is to upgrade to 2 gigs of RAM and possibly look into getting a faster CPU while the prices are great. The X2s look really sweet, and the 4000+ is dirt cheap right now.

Trotter said:
Actually, that looks pretty good.

The only things I would suggest is to upgrade to 2 gigs of RAM and possibly look into getting a faster CPU while the prices are great. The X2s look really sweet, and the 4000+ is dirt cheap right now.

Oh hey thanks for the reply. Cant my 3200 run all the new games right now or how much of an upgrade the 4000+ cpu will be? Also Ive heard that 2gig of Ram is really not needed right now because most of the time your games or comp wont pick up that much ram?

I'm running a 3200 with no problems (BF2, HL2, FEAR).

2 gigs is a sweet spot, as some games are memory-hungry (BF2 comes to mind).

Windows works well with 2 gig, but not with 3 or 4.

it can but not at the best quailty..... also 2 gigs will help on games like BF2 witch will gobble it up... plus wiht newer games and such 2 gigs will be a help

Ohh ok. Well another thing I was wondering is what is the difference between all the CPU Sockets for mobos? 939, 775 ect.

AMD = 754, 939, AM2

Intel = 478, 775

The 754 is bottom-barrel. 939 is still alive, for now, but on the way out. AM2 is the new kid that is to be the mainstay.

The 478 is already done for and discontinued. 775 is the main interface for the Intels, and covers the P4, P4 dual cores, and the new Core 2 Duos.

I downloaded a driver for my Samsung HDD, but when I try to install the .exe, It comes up with a bunch of giberrish and "llll l llll" ?

Also what is the fastest and most reliable 2gb rams from the Cheapest to the expensive?

Also is there better matching ram for a AMD 3200 cpu?

Greetings!

your setup looks nice!

If you can get one of the x2 AMD CPU's for a good price, I would do it. As Trotter said, for forwarding looking builds AM2 is preferable, though 939 will still be viable for a year or two (I hope...).

If you go AM2 you will need new DDR2 RAM.

If you use 939 your current RAM will work (check your speed), for optimal performance at a budget 2 x 512 PC3200 in dual channel is manageable. 2 x 1GB is preferable, but remember that 2 x 512 in dual channel is more efficient than 1 x 1GB in single channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom