Vertical bars and system lock up after login

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive.777

In Runtime
Hi
When i start up my system. windows loads fine. i then login. after i log in an dthe desktop starts to load, the screen switches to a pattern of vertical bars running down the screen. these are different colors nearly everytime i start up. i can start in safe mode just fine. any help?

Sorry, i did not have much time when i put in the above post. here are some more details. I have overclocked my graphics card a long time ago (details in sig) using MSI afterburner. It worked fine for ages but yesturday, i started noticing freezing and unfreezing in empire total war. when i started the pc this morning, it booted fine and i logged in. after login, it started to run all the start up programs and the desktop image just fine (this happen really fast, SSD XD). about 7 seconds into the process, the screen turns to a pattern of vertical bars running down the screen and i have no control over it. no key combination works like ctrl alt delete or alt tab. i have to hit restart switch on the case.

I can login just fine in safe mode without the above problem. I think the problem lyes within the graphics card overclock. i believe some of the settings have been changed in MSI afterburner like the voltage or something. This could be causing the screen to turn to vertical bars. the overclock is applied on start up every time (thats how i set it). The reason why i can start in safe mode is becuase MSI afterburner cannot run in safe mode, thus not applying the OC. what iam thinking is if i uninstall MSI Afterburner in safe mode, it would stop the graphics card form recieving the overclock on start up thus solving my problem. iam at school now so i cant try anything until i get home.

What do you guys think? Iam just hoping it has nothing to do with my CPU or Motherboard or anything expensive. i was just thinking that vertical bars are caused by over or under voltage of the GPU. Please give your suggestions, thanks

When I got vertical bard from my old 8500GT, the card was dead. I doubt that your video card will work correctly now that it has vertical bars as soon as you login. In safe mode you can install Ccleaner and prevent msi afterburner from loading with windows by disabling it.

Ok, i just turned on my pc when i got home from school. i let it start normaly without safe mode and for some unknowen reason, it worked. no bars, no system lock up. Iam not having any problems in ETW any more. i have no idea what happened, it just worked :D. first thing i did was checked all my voltages and temps, they were all fine. Iam upgrading to an XFX HD 6970 in a couple of days so if there was anything wrong with the card, its being replaced soon anyway.

My overclocked 5870 gives me the vertical lines every now and then also. I ended up slowing the memory down just a bit and the crashes went away. Odds are the overclock is too high. When you boot into safe mod it runs the card at stock clocks because the MSI overclock program doesn't start up. Try setting the card back to stock clocks and i'm betting the problem goes away.

Just remember, overclocking -can- cause components to slowly degrade, which could be why it worked for a while but now doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom