Urgent help required - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Urgent help required

Sorry to come to a forum with 0% posts or participating in these Forums as of yet, I need some help please.

I recently sold my xbox 360 and decided to upgrade my PC!! (best thing i ever did).

Now it's all up and running except today i go and install my new 6800GT i think i have a problem with the Power consumption, I tried to run a 3dmark test at first and my screen went black and my computer restarted, so i booted it back up and Nvidia program tells me it's underclocked my card because the beast isn't getting enough Power!!

Right then i restart it tried again same thing happend, so i went into the Bios and Gave the pci-e slot a 0.1V increase which now lets me run the 3dmark tests but i get glitches on the graphics (but not with Q3)..

The PSU is a no name 550W (i think part of my old PC) and i have NO LP4 (PCI Express 6pin power cable) what should i do upgrade my psu for more power, get a branded PSU or buy a PCI Express power cable and hope that fixes it!..

System is a E6300, Gigabyte 965G-DS3 mobo, 1g of 512X2 ddr800 XM2 Corsair memory, 7200 ide HD WD, 52X CDRW and it ran fine before using my old mans 6800XT, but now trouble started with the MSI 6800GT.

Sorry for the long post, and hope i got the right section of the forum to post in. John

Old 02-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I think you should upgrade your psu

6600GT
CPU-Z Validator
Old 02-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hiphopapotamus.

Hey John, Welcome to TF.

I get the same problem with my system at the moment. I think the problem IS my PSU (No-name 500W), as i've got the PCI-E power connected!

I (and everyone else around here) would suggest getting a decent power supply as a matter of course, whether you're having problems or not!

Your cheapest option is to get a PCI-E Adaptor like THIS and see if it helps. If not, go for a good quality 450-500W PSU (someone else will have to suggest one, I haven't got a clue which makes are good or bad! Probably, the higher the price, the better. But not necessarily!)

Hope that helps.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks mate, problem is i only got like £30 atm till awhile to upgrade on a tight budget with Valentines and stuff coming up you know women lol.. I phoned up maplins earlier because on their site they had the PCI Express power connector around £4.

I think it proboblies will be my PSU, and most likely the PCI Express power cable will not make much difference as you said^^

Just need to hunt down a PSU before the shops shut so i can Test out my new card, Thank you for the advice guys. John
Old 02-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Patron

antec is a great brand with middle of the range psu's for good prices
Old 02-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hiphopapotamus.

Don't, whatever you do spend that thirty quid in PCWorld! You'll come out with a worse PSU than you started with!

Best bet: Get to Maplin, buy the PCI-E connector. You should have it connected anyway, so you should get one. Plus, when you upgrade your graphics card to something that needs two PCI-E connectors, you're sorted!

Good luck fella!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by b0dge
Don't, whatever you do spend that thirty quid in PCWorld! You'll come out with a worse PSU than you started with!

Best bet: Get to Maplin, buy the PCI-E connector. You should have it connected anyway, so you should get one. Plus, when you upgrade your graphics card to something that needs two PCI-E connectors, you're sorted!

Good luck fella!
Right i'm setting off now lol. i'll go buy the connector and give it a try maybe it might just work.. or at least tie me over till i find a descent PSU and order from online because the PC shops around here stink and i haven't walked in one for months (old parts old prices). John
Old 02-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Console Gamer

fortron 450 watt will work great
Red Devil 480 / Corsair R270
Sandisk 960GB SSD / 2x Seagate 8tb, 2x WD 4TB
Old 02-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

will have to look into getting a new psu by the looks of it, still getting nvidia msg saying i don't have enough power and that the cards slowed down to run at safe operations, i attatched the new PCI Express power connector. What a tight fit (yes it's the correct one) just wont connect all the way on for some reason, but the glitches in games have stopped.. lol man what fun i'm having . John

Closed Thread