Upgrading work station...Ram and drive Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenyora

Daemon Poster
hey guys..how are you ..well iam upgrading my 3d workstation ..as one of my ram sticks seems to have died for no reason..anyway my current setup is as fallow....
1)Motherboard :asus a8n premium sli
2)GPU: 2 sli Nvidia Geforce 7800 gt
3)Cpu: Amd opteron 170 dual core OC @ 2.4(for now)
4)HD: 2 120 seagate ultra ATA
5)2 :NEC dvd rw drives
and i have a Wacom Cintiq 21UX connected to that setup ....

now when this whole thing started i just wanted to get a new ram but i was wondering:
1)what kind of Ram am i limited 2 here?
2)should i go with low latency ram ..or should i go with something average ?
3)at this point i have to OSs windows xp 64 bit and Ubuntu with glx ..both are running on different partitions on the same drive while ther other one is for data backup ..but i want to go SATA do you think that such setup would benefit from going SATA or am i better off staying with the IDE?what kind of SATA drive am i limited 2 ?
4)do you see anything ells that i should upgrade?allot fo people told me to switch from my sli setup to single 8800 or a DX10 crad ...but i honestly think its not worth it YET.....what do you think?

let me know what do you think guys ,opinion ..parts recommendations ...just explain to me why...:)
thanks for the help....

DDR is your only limitation. DDR400 is the standar. If you overclock, a higher RAM would benefit you because it wouldn't bother it.

Low latency is good. Cheap RAM usually has crappy latency.

Going to SATA sounds like a good choice for you. Just ghost your drive over, then unplug the IDE drive and set the SATA drive as the boot drive.

You look good to go. As long as you have some decent cooling, you are set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom