Upgrading Video cards, and its hassles

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazlunatic

In Runtime
First these are my specs:

P4 3.2 GhZ 512 MB L2 Cache (I think it was model 550, the one with the loud, horrible heatsink and fan.)

Asus P5P800
300 W PS
Antec Case (Some low level 60 dollar CAD model)
Powercolor 128MB ATI Radeon 9200 SE (Most important part)
512 MB Kingston DDR2 RAM
SB Live E480 Sound Card
80 GB WD
Sound Blaster Live E480
1 CD Drive
1 CD - RW

Right now in CS: Source, I am getting low fps for some reason. Around 20 - 40 on some maps while it can shoot up to high 120s in some areas. I heard it's because my vid card is a SE version, thats why its performance is so poor.

I want to get a new vid card that can play source. My specs are all fine but the vid card is definetely dragging it down. Keep in mind my Mobo only supports AGP.

I am wondering which vid card you will suggest that will run Quake 4 smoothly. Not max details and resolution, but just enough so it can be ran smoothly in the low-medium settings when playing Q4. The problem also is I only have 300 W and already have 2 CD drives as well. I MIGHT need to buy a new PS, not sure, so please help me out with this.

Thanks.

Btw, I'm looking towards Nvidia 6600 GT

I just bought an MSI 6600GT. I chose it over the eVGA because of the amazing software/games bundle -- it comes with 17 games, plus lots of extra software.

eVGA probably would have been the better choice in cards... but how much more was the bundle?

I heard BFG's OClocked cards are very good.

My budget is 120 Canadian.

I don't know how to convert but here's an example:
When PS2 first came out, it was 500 in Canada.

Edit: By the way, I would love the 6800 GT but it might be too expensive for me.

Please keep in mind I have a 300 PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom