Upgrading RAM without Slowing down the Old Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lul2x

Solid State Member
Hi all,

Currently in my computer (build about 1.5 yrs ago) I have 2x512MB OCZ Platinum Series Rev 2 PC3200, 2-2-2-5.

This was expensive and has low timings, but 1GB is just not doing it anymore. I would like to add another gig, but SDRAM is not popular these days. I don't want to spend too much, but don't want to lose the speed of my current RAM.

What is my best RAM option? If I get new RAM that isn't the same as what I have now, will it slow down the other sticks? Also, how will buying a 1GB stick affect my current 2x512 dual-channel setup?

I'm hoping to buy from Newegg.com. Thanks!

u could buy another set a 512mb of any make but u really should get the same/ or same brand. umm 1gb will be the same should get same timings etc.. of same make. alothough 1GB wont be as good as having 512x2 it wont make too much difference at all. but generally get same ones u got now even tho might cost an arm n leg

go with the cheapest gskill. u could fit the timings the match ur other sticks. but i wouldnt spend any money on ur computer right now. ddr2 comes prob cheaper in some cases then high end ddr400.

u could buy another set a 512mb of any make but u really should get the same/ or same brand. umm 1gb will be the same should get same timings etc.. of same make. alothough 1GB wont be as good as having 512x2 it wont make too much difference at all. but generally get same ones u got now even tho might cost an arm n leg

In that case, perhaps this is my best option...

Newegg.com - OCZ Performance Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

What do you think? One stick of the G-Skill or 2x512 of OCZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom