Beta member
This is what I have
Asus A8n32 SLI Deluxe MotherBoard
AMD 4800+ CPU
Corsair Memory VS2GBKIT400C3 2 GB PC3200 400MHz 184-Pin DDR
MSI NVIDIA 7800GTX (Only one)
450 Watt Power Supply
Windows 7 Ultimate

I plan on upgrading my Ram by doubling it. I want to Replace my 7800GTX with a newer video card but I don't want to spend more then 200 on it. And I am not sure how big of a power supply I need. I have a 450 watt but I dont think that is going to be enough for today's models.

My motherboard has 2 PCI Express slots but they don't say PCI Express 2.0 and the GPUs I am looking at say they use 2.0. Will it still work on my motherboard? Also what GPU would you recommend for around 200 bucks? The GPUs I looked at look like they have a different power connector then the one I have right now. Will buying a new power supply have the right cord? And How big of a power supply would you buy?

And my Final question is, Is it worth upgrading or should I just wait and buy a new one?

I had your exact same setup, more or less, about six years ago. I bought the X2 4800+ the day it came out, $800+ and a year later it was selling for under $200.

To be totally honest, it's not worth enough to upgrade, but you could start buying a few new parts. You could buy a new video card now and use it, but your cpu, mobo and memory will be a bottleneck. It will perform better than what your using but your old parts won't allow it to run at it's potential or even close really.

And you could buy a new power supply and use it now and later.

Then you would just need to save some cash and start watching the Newegg Combo Deals for a cpu, mobo & memory.

Either one of these would be a good sub-$200 video card.

Newegg.com - XFX HD-685X-ZNBC Radeon HD 6850 Black Edition 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1380-KR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) SSC+ 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

This is a great price after a rebate and free shipping. You could buy a smaller power supply but a good one would be almost as much, within $10-$15.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

If you think you might go SLI or CrossFireX later you'll need an even bigger power supply. I would say this is the minimum for (2) of either of the video cards I listed above.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Thanks Slaymate. I will look into those. I built mine 5 years ago and dropped 2500.00 into it. It was my very first build. I always meant to go back and add more memory and a second video card but I really haven't needed to do that until I upgraded to windows 7. I would of kept XP but this MB does not like service pack 3. I had to reinstall windows about 15 times before I found out what was the cause.

BTW, Nice Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom