Upgrading RAM on Dell XPS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somebody

Solid State Member
A little over a year ago I got a Dell XPS shortly after the unvailing of the PCI Express setup. To say the least I was very pleased with the performance of my new comp. Now I do so much at once that the 1gig of ddr2 simply is not enough. I have been looking on pricewatch at diff modles and such, asking friends, ect... I did however talk to a guy at a Best Buy that told me about a cust that had a Dell and was doing the very same thing but the RAM he bought and installed would not work on the Dell. The cust had to return to Dell and purchase the RAM at an arm and a leg! Before i spent the money on more RAM I wanted to inquire about it and see if this is true. I would figure that it would not matter, RAM is RAM no matter who you get it from. TIA

Somebody

In my experiences I've been able to upgrade RAM on Dell's no problem. I would expect that normal DDR2 would work. If anything, check Crucial first and see what comes up for your model.

Ok, with that in mind I used CPU-Z to find my RAM specs they are as follows: DDR2-SDRAM, channels: 2, freq: 266 mhz, FSB: DRAM 3:4, max bandwidth: PC4300 (266 MHZ), samsung. Another question I had is can you mix speeds or must they all be 266. Considering all this what would you suggest with out emptying the bank lol.

Somebody

Another question I had is can you mix speeds or must they all be 266. Considering all this what would you suggest with out emptying the bank lol.
Yes, I would very much advise sticking to the same speed. You will want to look for DDR2-533 RAM. By the looks of the CPU-z info, it is just standard DDR2 RAM so it should be an easy upgrade unless Dell has done something really funky.

Kitire said:
An extra 1gb is a waste.

"nuff said''

WRONG. YOU LOSE. GAME OVER. YOUR GOING HOME.

2G is needed in a lot of situations. I won't go into this again.

As far as upgrading ram in a Dell goes... It's not impossible.
You need to make sure that the stock timings are the same.
Name brand won't matter. Try to get the same type kit you already have - 1G or 2x512MB module.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom