Upgrading Processor and ram.. How much should I expect game performace to jump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
I'm currently running a pc with 1 gig ram, AMD Athlon 64 3700+ processor, and a x1900xt video card. I'm planning on upgrading the system to two gigs of ram and a core 2 duo 2.53 ghz processor with the same video card. How much of a framerate jump should I expect in games such as Oblivion? In my jump from a 7800gt to x1900xt my performance didn't improve much on the same machine with the same ram and processor, but I'm attributing that to my limiting processor. Will the processor and ram changes make a large difference in the frames i'll get in games now?

Nah both are weak as it is.. and 7800gt and x1900xt are around the same performance...

Umm you should be able to see some increase in frame rate alright. But why not just keep AMD and get a cheap AMD CPU so then you can afford a 9600GSO or something. That would improve your gaming too.

PS Vernong for such an "enthusiast" you really deserve a better build man.

umm you cant put an intel chip in an AMD board.... if you go intel then your going to have to buy another board..... What's board do you have? and i'll recommend you a CPU... and you should see a decent jump if you go with something like an 8 series card. i'd go with the 8600gt for a decent card to run Oblivion. (atleast i think its the 8600 that did well but not for an extreme gamer) that or the 8800gt i cant remember its been a while so i'm outa the loop a bit.

It's my understanding that i'm currently being limited currently by my processor. I HAVE to buy a new mobo anyway (my mobo broke), so buying a new amd processor wouldn't be all that efficient. I'm replacing my mobo, ram, and processor for ~300 bucks, so if anyone can find any better option i'm open for suggestions. I'm expecting a 30 fps jump. And by the way, there is a HUGE difference between the 7800gt video card and the x1900xt. I'm getting the following items:

Newegg.com - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Right now... video cards are the biggest performance decider in games... so I'd focus on that... first if your PSU is up to speed, I agree with Hussein that going with a good GPU is a good option right now.. then eventually you can upgrade the other stuff to like an e2180 + EP35-dS3L + Corsair 550vx

Umm you should be able to see some increase in frame rate alright. But why not just keep AMD and get a cheap AMD CPU so then you can afford a 9600GSO or something. That would improve your gaming too.

PS Vernong for such an "enthusiast" you really deserve a better build man.

lol my parents won't buy me an 8800gs D: but AMD's 7950gt would do me good anyways...

OHMYGOD A MOD dOUBLE POSTED....WTF the world will end

and if you plan on OCing then dont go with the A-data's but if your not planning on it then keep em :)
nice choice on the CPU the wolfdale will serve you right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom