Upgrading processor from Pentium D, where to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcream

Baseband Member
Wondering what the best processor would be best to upgrade to from a Pentium D 2.8 dual core. I've had it for about 5 years and really feel its the cause of my system not being able to handle newer games even though i just put in a 9800 GTX+. I've got an intell motherboard its socket LGA 775

Does sound a little out of date and from the limited information I don't think there is much you can do. If you upgrade to a new processor you need a new MOBO and new RAM looks like what you are running is DDR2 and the new stuff runs only off of DDR3.

My advice is to just overclock what you got if you got a decent power supply and the motherboard can handle it

Not everones new rigs are running ddr3.
The newest processors for the most part use ddr3 but most people don't buy the top of the line the second it comes out so there are still plenty of people building ddr2 compatible systems for price reasons
ddr2 is the minimum by todays standards yes but you can still build a good rig that uses ddr2.

But yes as far as upgrades you are better off buying a whole new setup or a major upgrade like psu, cpu, ram, mobo.

Ok, So just yesterday I ordered an Athlon II X4 635 2.9Ghz Quad-Core and a Biostar A770E AM3/AM2+/AM2 mobo. I am upgrading from a Pentium D 830 3.00Ghz Dual-Core with an LGA775. You may want to look at AMD's Phenom line or maybe if your strapped for cash you can do what i did, get the best Quad-Core Athlon.

You could upgrade to a C2D like an e6600, which is under $100 and keep everything, and get a cooler to overclock it. You can't use the better 45nm quads on that board.

Your 9800gtx+ is still being made... well a minor change, as the gts250.

It all depends on your cash. You can upgrade through the amd route with a mobo and cpu, and keep the ddr2, or go ddr3. But to go to a new intel, you'll need ddr3 for sure.

Or cheapest is to pop in a better c2d, which will beat out the pentium D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom