Upgrading Power Supply on DELL - Curse them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoobies

Beta member
I really need to upgrade the power supply in my Dell Inspiron 531 desktop so I can run a better vid card. I'm looking at two options here and am wondering what would be the best bet and if anyone has had any luck on upgrading a dell PSU. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What seems most appealing to me is buying this PSU:
Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply 115/ 230 V - Retail

and hooking it up with this adapter:
Adapter for Dell Power Supply

The adapter says it should work with all standard ATX PSUs and convert them to Dell compatible. I'm assuming the Inspiron 531 is an ATX case.

The other option I'm looking at is buying a PSU already "modified" for Dell computers :
StarTech 400Watt ATx12V 2.01 Dell PC Power Supply - ATXPW400DELL - Buy.com

The problem I have with this option is, how reliable is StarTech? There's no reviews or anything... and the other option is cheaper and I'm pretty sure Thermaltake is quite a reputable company judging from reviews from Newegg.

I'd like to do the first option but I just need some input on whether or not it would be a compatible solution before I go spending the money. Thanks for your help!

Thermaltake is a bigger name, As you noticed, you don't want to play around with a cheap power supply. If its a desktop it should be ATX, But how recently did you purchase it? They have been using BTX for about at least a year now. So :/ it could be BTX...

I actually just bought it in November of last year. Is there any way to know for sure if it's ATX or BTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom