Upgrading to PCI-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznboi88

Baseband Member
i am currently using an agp card and want to upgrade to a PCI-E...which means i have to buy a new motherboard and im also planning on getting a new cpu as well.. i would like some help for picking the right parts...my budget for the cpu, motherboard and Graphics card is around $1000 Aud.

which do you want to spend more money on, the cpu or graphics card? i suppose graphics card. you could get something like an opteron 144/146 or an athlon 3000+/3200+, a 7900gt and an nf4 dfi lanparty ultra-d. personally though i prefer getting a powerful cpu but i'm not a very heavy gamer.

edit: if you are more like me you could get a 7600gt, x2 3800+ and lanparty ultra-d which should fit the budget more or less perfectly

Yeah, I agree with nitestick. However I would like to add on. AMD is releasing their new socket real soon (a week?), which could lower prices tramendously. Also, in a month (or 2?) Intel is coming out with its new processors, dubbed Core 2. Core 2 is supposedly going to top the highest Pentium D by 40%. In reality it's probably closer to 30%, but still amazing. Either way those are somethings to think about.

If you cannot wait, get the NF4 DFI Lanparty Ultra-D and 7900GT like nitestick said. But I would get a Athlon X2 or dual core Opteron. If you are into overclocking, the Opteron will do you much good. If you are not interested in overclocking get the Athlon X2.

Opteron 165

Athlon X2 4200+

Ok heres the situation...ive been looking into a the am2 cores a bit recently and they are already out here...also have read some reviews about them and they say that they wont have a big difference compared to the socket 939. Im not so sure about the opteron precessors and why people are so into them..are they a pain in the *** or very user friendly when it comes to overclocking?

And aslo what brands would you reconmend for the video card??

Oh, sorry didn't see that you are from Australia.

Earlier I didn't mean you should get an AM2, they aren't adding much except DDR2. I meant that it'll probably push down the prices of current Socket 939 processors and boards.

I recommend eVGA for Nvidia video cards.

The only probelm is i ant get evga cards in australia... so im basically stuck with bfg, leadtek, MSI etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom