Upgrading PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kryne

Solid State Member
Hi so I have a nice check coming in this week and I'm going to use some of it to upgrade a part on my PC, built it last about Thanksgiving 2010, but I'm not sure which part to upgrade. Heres what I have now....

Case- Rosewill Smart One ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PSU- Newegg.com - Rosewill Xtreme Series RX950-D-B 950W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

Mobo- Newegg.com - ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

HDD-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

CPU- Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

GPU- Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

RAM- Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9D G

CD Drive- Newegg.com - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners

Computer is used for all gaming. Can run Wow on just about maxed settings, Crysis 2 on maxed settings with dx11 update, battlefield, Black Ops, Need for Speed...
So just wondering what the best "worst" part is that I should look into upgrading. I'm kinda thinking the RAM, about used when playing some games is getting close to around 80% and I'd like that to be lower...but if I want to upgrade RAM should I buy whole new RAM set with 8GB or can I get one just like it?
Thanks for your time, looking foreward to feedback!

About all I would touch is maybe a 6core and I would replace that psu with a quality unit from Corsair or Antec.

whats your budget for upgrades?
you can either buy a 8gb set, or add another 4gb set. completely up to you.
I'd suggest buying a 8gb though, since ram is like... CHEAP now days.

I'd honestly, for the sake of your systems health, get a more quality power supply. You only need a 600W psu tops, even a quality 500 will be more than needed.

A Corsair 750tx has almost the same amps as the rosewill 950, and cleaner power output.

So I think I'll do a new PSU. But I'm not sure which are better then other for the PSU (for example what makes the one I have bad?) Could I get a few link of suggestions? Will be crossfiring in the future and doing a few more upgrades at some point(RAM and CPU for sure)

From the AMD website for the 6870:
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Its not that Rosewill is exactly "bad", its just that there are brand options that are more reliable and efficient.
TF PSU Thread

$89.99 w/MiR Corsair HX650 (modular).
$69.99 w/MiR PC Power and Cooling 650w.

Or the 750w versions for more headroom
$129.99 w/MiR Corsair HX750 (modular).
$89.99 w/MiR PC Power and Cooling 750w.

So I think I'll do a new PSU. But I'm not sure which are better then other for the PSU (for example what makes the one I have bad?) Could I get a few link of suggestions? Will be crossfiring in the future and doing a few more upgrades at some point(RAM and CPU for sure)

The bad parts are the lower quality capacitors, it does hold the power cleanly, and while it says 950W, it'll perform more like a 850W psu. Also notice the ratings are at 25C... my house isn't even that low..

On the 650 side of psu's, watchout as most wonm't have enough pci-e cables.

Also look at Antec psu's. Great psu's with good Amperage.
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
This Antec is only 750W yet it has 4 25A rails, where as the Rosewill nis 950W and 4 20A rails.

Yeah that threw me off the first time I saw it too.
For some reason they list it as an 8-Pin instead of a 6+2-Pin, which is what it really is.
To totally ease your concerns check out Corsair's HX750 spec page, pictures, quantity, and length of cables are under the FAQs & Support tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom