upgrading old pc for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
i really want to get started on buying these thnings so if anyone has an answer to my last question that would be really great

Alright well I think you are confused about a few things, AGP is an interface where you can put in video cards, it has been replaced by the newer PCI express interface. Your motherboard is older by the sounds of it so it's probably AGP 4x, maybe 8x but im thinking 4x probably. Since your CPU isnt so hot I dont know how much you will benefit from a great AGP card like a 850xt or a 6800gs, and since y ou say you only have 300$ Id say go with a 6600gt and upgrade your ram to at least 512, preferably 1 gig. If you have 4x you will have limited bandwidth on any fast agp card, probably even on the 6600gt, but it will still be a large step up from your current card.

cool thanks alot. im gonna be getting the 6600gt for sure just wating for it to be in stock agin on newegg and im getting a gig of ram as well again just waiting for it to be instock. as for my PSU im not sure what it is u mean by rating but the input for voltage:115V- current:6A frequency:50Hz-60Hz
______230V-_________4A
thats whay it says on the side of it then there is also a bunch of other stuff under that for output so im not sure what info u need but if thats not enough let me know what exactly i gotta look for. again sorry for the noobness and thanks.

or unless you what to add alot of other drives then go with a 400 watt but
if i was you i would add the graphics card now and the ram and play the games you want to then save up for a better system
you dont want to spend a lot of money on this when your just going to replace it (if your going to replace it)so try to keep it on a budget
if your not going to replace it then go witha 400 or more watt powere supply that way you will have more options down the raod

well its final: im going with the 6600gt and 768 meg of ram (i found 2x 256 from my old computer) and a new PSU. thanks agin to everyone who has been helpfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom