upgrading old pc for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

woggie

Solid State Member
well im not sure if i should be posting this here or in the general pc section but im here now. I want to upgrade my pc so that i can play battlefeild 2 and make my steam games look a bit sweeter. Also i dont wanna spend to much money. Im running XP with a pentium 4, 1.60GHz only 256 of ram (probably should get a bit more.) and i have a ati radeon 7500 (64mb) video card. now im just wondering what everyones sujjestions are. thanks alot.

I would say keep the drives, and start over. The cpu,amt. of RAM, and video card could play it(BF2), but not well. You would be better off keeping the drives and buying new parts. You could find the hardware you need to play BF2 for under 300, easy.

do you think you could point out a few things that i could get (for bf2) for under 300. and sorry im a noob with all this stuff im guessing mobo is motherboard and im not sure what psu is but my mobo is a msi 645 or someting like that. thanks agin and sorry for being such a noob

Get 512mb/1GB of memory and a EVGA 6600gt/6800gs however the 6800gs isn't out on AGP yet so you may haev to wait a while to get that. You will need a better power supply as well. A Fortron 400W is a decent choice as you are on a low budget.

Here is some links to what I recommended above

G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory - Retail

or if your mobo only supports SDRAM

Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 168-Pin SDRAM System Memory - Retail

eVGA Geforce 6600GT 128A8N350DX Video Card - Retail

FSP Group (Fortron Source) ATX400-PA 400W Power Supply - OEM

thanks weringo. what do you mean about not out on AGP what does tha mean? and how long do you figure it will be until it is AGP?

you might want to take into consideration how long youll be using this computer, will you use it temporarily utiull you get mor emoney, or will you be doing a completely new computer soon. because you dont want to spend all this money and then realized i should have just built a new pc, though alot of those items can be used in the new build but it will also limit your build.

so id suggest getting a gig of ram one of the links weringo sent you and the evga 6600gt agp. this sould give oyu enough performance increase to notice a huge difference from your ati 7500 and 256 ram. but allow you to play BF2 on rather decent settings for the changes you made. and may even play steam games on close if not max graphics depending on the steam game

when he said its not out yet, he is refering to a video card that is not availible to buy yet in the agp interface.

thanks alot. im probably just gonna go with getting that video card cause i have a power mac g5 wich is my main computer and i dont play that many video games (just DOD source and i wanna try BF2) i understood that he meant it wasent out on the AGP interfase but i dont know what that is. also is it a necesity i get the new power supply? and last will this AGP cost more than the one on the link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom