Upgrading to a Newer Motherboard - Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyam Bhat

Beta member
My current Motherboard, a Nvidia Nforce 680i chipset, has poor overclocking capabilities, and does not harbour any PCI 2.0 slots. This is a problem, because everytime I change the FSB speed on my QX6850 even by a fractional amount, I get a BSOD after about 5 minutes at the modified settings. In addition, because the motherboard does not have PCI 2.0 slots, bottlenecking will occur once I upgrade my graphics card from a 8800 ultra to a 4870x2.

Therefore, I am going to need a motherboard that will have atleast 2 PCI 2.0 (x16) slots. I am planning to buy a Asus Rampage Extreme X48 Socket 775 Motherboard, because of it's fantastic overclocking capabilities, and inclusion of 2 PCI 2.0 slots.

However, before I do so, can someone please tell me if the 4870x2 will function properly with this motherboard. In addition, because this motherboard has 2 PCI 2.0 (x16) slots, will i be able to run two 4870x2's in Xfire mode, if i do decide to add another later on? Or would that not be possible on this motherboard? In addition, would i be able to use my existing DDR2 memory with this motherboard, or do i have to buy new (DDR3) memory?

Finally, would a 1000W power supply be sufficient PSU for one card and this motherboard?

Thanks

HD 4870X2 would not be bottlenecked on a 680i..

Look at the Biostar I45 or if you are decided on that board, feel free to stick with it...

1000W is overkill and two HD 4870X2's is not worth it as there is little to no gain with Quad Crossfire (so stick with one HD 4870X2)

The Biostar I45 has two PCI-e 2.0 slots that run in 8x electrical when CrossFireX is enabled.

pci-e 2.0 is double the bandwidth making them 16x 1.0 pci-e, so save ur money and get a biostar i45

also this psu will enough to run 4870 x2's in crossfire:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

but lastly there is no reason u should need to crossfire a 4870x2, it will run anything on high already.

oh and u can get that psu from here for cheaper:
CORSAIR 750w TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - CMPSU-750TX - Buy.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom