upgrading, need some basic info

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamahammer342

Solid State Member
Well i think its finnaly time to upgrade and i need some basic information. Right now the only thing im playing is WoW but my oldschool 6800 is having a rough time with my new widecreen moniter and the resolution im forced to run with it. Getting fps down around 10 in some places =(. So im looking for a video card that that will run WoW easily (which i dont guess will be that hard) and also be ok if I decide to play CS source or maybe move on to some other games..nothing too extreme. When i first built this comp years ago amd it seems like was the company to go with as far as cpu but iv been doing some reading and it seems like intel is the way to go now? Can anyone give some basic info on AMD vs intel for gaming now? I would like to keep this below 500 bucks for a Mobo/gfx card/cpu if possible.

Well i think its finnaly time to upgrade and i need some basic information. Right now the only thing im playing is WoW but my oldschool 6800 is having a rough time with my new widecreen moniter and the resolution im forced to run with it. Getting fps down around 10 in some places =(. So im looking for a video card that that will run WoW easily (which i dont guess will be that hard) and also be ok if I decide to play CS source or maybe move on to some other games..nothing too extreme. When i first built this comp years ago amd it seems like was the company to go with as far as cpu but iv been doing some reading and it seems like intel is the way to go now? Can anyone give some basic info on AMD vs intel for gaming now? I would like to keep this below 500 bucks for a Mobo/gfx card/cpu if possible.

Intel is the way to go at this point in time.

500 bucks that will max out WoW, CS:S, and any other game you throw at it:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

-That will cost 450 total, and you'll be very happy. If you don't want to spend quite as much, this will still max out WoW and CS:S, and can play any other game too:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100265L Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Should be around 330ish. What kind of Ram and PSU do you have?

I have a 500w power supply and the Ram im not real sure i just know its old. I planned on putting 2gig of something new in there anyway.

I'd say ethan's build is pretty solid. You might not want a video card that powerful though if you are just playing the games you mentioned.

So i should probly just stick with the cheaper card he mentioned? the 4830. Ill prob just go with everything he mentioned for the cheaper build. There isnt any reason i would need a larger PSU is there? and im thinking 2gb of ram is sufficient maybe 3 sence it isnt too expensive.

How much less is the 4830? But I would say go with the 4830 and take the money you saved and get three gigs of ram. For the games you need, there's no need to have a 4850.

But the 4850 has rebates that take it down to like $130. I would recommend the dual slot Sapphire 4850, so if any new games you wanna play does come out, you can play it fine.

Here's a slighty more expemsive build, but it's worth it.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
^^^ OC's like beast, and can use CFX, if you ever need the function in the future. ( The single PCI-E version is only $10 cheaper)
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
^^^You might want a 1GB, if you don't want to lag in big maps, or cities.
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
^^^Can OC very well, and I don't think you would need the E8500, unless you really want to OC far.

Last time I checked, a 4830 can play new games fine. Also, rebates are rebates... in my experience they tend to not work well, and its still the initial sum taken out of your pocket. Also, assuming the rebate works ... a remaining $25 dollar difference is still $25, and for his needs he might as well keep his money.

Go with the 4830.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom