Upgrading my rig... i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might have to set the RAM speed in the BIOS to get the correct speed. there are many around here who can give you the details on that.

Win7 is the best yet. I've been on it since the beta and it is awesome. Go 64 bit as there is no reason to go with 32 unless you are putting it on a very outdated machine. Home Premium will do you good.

so if i OCd the processor to 3.0ghz and got 1066 ram (which i guess is technically overlocking since it requires BIOS modification even though it is rated for 1066) at 2.1v with my current power supply, would I be okay on wattage and heat control? i do have an antec 900 case that has a ton of fans, hehe. what clocking should i do to the card, and will that tip the balance on heat/wattage if it hasnt already been surpassed anyways?

Until you try it, you'll never know what heat will be like. You can get a slight guess if you use coretemp to find your Vid. The lower the better, it means less power and thus heat.

Also check hwmonitor to see what the current Vcore is.

Theses are indicators of how much heat your going to put out.

and finally, whats your current temps?

not exactly sure what all this means, but this is from hwmonitor

processor cores are 54* to 48*, averaging about 51*
SYSTIN 29*
CPUTIN 25*
AUXTIN 41*
CPU VCORE 1.14v

let me know if you need more, my current gpu is at 63* although i doubt thats relevant
(all these temps are celcius of course)

thanks for your help everyone. found a local place with the same prices as newegg so im going to call tomorrow to check stock.

hopefully everything goes in alright. time to prioritize what to save before i reformat... ugh.

great. the store doesnt have any and the guy said at least two weeks for them to get any more from the manufacturer, maybe as much as 4 weeks.

any one know any good stores in canada? preferably in ontario with storefronts... not a huge fan of ordering something online, paying for shipping, and then having it break and have to pay to ship it back.

they had the ram and windows 7 in stock, but the card is the one im waiting for. they said they have ordered some from the manufacturer but have no idea when it will be in. is 2 weeks a good estimate? not sure how long ago they ordered them. it was from canadacomputers.com.

i am in hamilton, ontario. burlington and brantford are about as far as i want to go. Tigerdirect.ca has the card, but im not sure if its at their store in burlington, and its $40 more expensive than at canada computers. is $40 worth ensuring myself i'll get it soon, instead of a mystery wait time?

Two weeks aint bad... Its is 40 bucks worth 2 weeks of your time....

Jusst thought, if its a 1Gig model, then thats not too unexpected. Theyve only recently come out, while the 786 model was out first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom