Upgrading My Laptops Memory...

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbbraveheart

Baseband Member
would it be a waste to upgrade my memory on my laptop from 512MB to 2GB on a Dell Inspiron 9200 w/ Intel 1.60GHz CPU w/ Windows XP Pro and 256mb graphics card??

the only real reason I would even think about a new laptop is a more up to date CPU ya know?

im thinking no...the 2GB upgrade will do it just fine

im debating whether I would buy a new laptop or desktop

TIA

I am in the exact same situation as you right now. I want to get a desktop, but with dx10 and vista just coming out, I think it's an expensive time to enter the market if you want performance and futureproofing. My laptop is pretty much the same spec-wise (1.6 turion X2). I currently have 512 of pc4200, and I borrowed another 512 stick from my friends laptop, and it made a huge difference, even with XP. I am defiantly just gonna grab another 1GB stick now, and then building up a rig in september when I go back to uni. For 70 bucks or whatever it costs, you pretty much get a new computer, it's defiantly worth it to hold you off until you really need a new computer.

i dont think it would be a waste

Ill be keeping this laptop
Ill be building a new desktop for the home business and my wife will be getting a laptop for herself

ahhh why not

dell brand specific memory 2GB for $299
yay or nay?

1.6 Ghz processor can only hold maybe 1 gig of ram. I have a 1.0ghz processor (which is crap) only 512mb ram and that all it can hold. So if you want 2 gigs get atleast 3.0ghz processor.

I am guessing that guy had a brain lapse and is totally wrong, there are not many CPU's that come stock with more than 3.0 GHz anymore, so that makes no sense.

Edit: I'm not really guessing, he is totally wrong (fact).

a 32bit cpu can take 4gigs physical limit, anything less than that is a limit in the motherboard. chances are if you laptop is from the last few years it can take 2 gigs. and ghz means nothing nowadays. its the chips themselves. the turions are good, not the best, the conroes are better, but they are still good.

lol never try to make decisions on 3 hours sleep haha

I dont even remember why I would post this anyway

and yes im going with 2 gigs

go with 1gb overall and increase your paging file save the money for a new desktop my laptop only has 1.6ghz pentium m and I added 512mb of ram to make 1gb and it was a good performance boost. 1gb is all you need for average user tasks if you game on your laptop then get 2gb but it seems a waste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom