Upgrading my GTX 590

kpat99

Baseband Member
I'm looking to upgrade my EVGA Classified GTX 590. It is still a pretty sweet card, but I'd like to sell it while it will still fetch me 300+ on ebay, and I'd like to bump up the setting in Crysis 3, Battlefield, etc...

I'll heavily lean towards Nvidia cards, but I'd go AMD if it was the clear choice.

I'm looking at the MSI GTX 780 lighting now on for 515 with a 100 dollar gift bundle that I could probably sell for 50 bucks. The only problem is it isn't a huge upgrade in performance (I don't think) So my other option is going with 2 770's in sli. With my high res monitor I want the 4gb version which are still around 400 dollars, times 2 thats a lot of cash.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I have 2 580s, and can tell you the 590 can play both Crysis 3 and BF3/4 maxed with some AA at 1080p, without at 1600p (I downsampled). But, going dual 770s really isn't that much of an upgrade, as they're just 2 680s. I would look at the 780ti or a couple R9 290s if I was you. 2 R9 290s flashed to the 290x would be way ahead of either dual 770s, or a 780ti/Titan.

The resolution i'm running is where I run into the problem. I realize 2 770's is the same as 2 680's but its still quite a bit better than a single 590. I guess my thinking is it would be quite a bit more powerful to run 2 770's than a single 780 or 780ti, but I easily could be wrong.

Yes it would, a tad over 780ti performance, but for the same price you could have over 780 performance and double that with 2 290s. You can also flash reference models with the 290x bios, and have a grand worth of cards for 800, that will perform way better than 2 770s.

It makes more sense for the money. Trust me, I'm Nvidia biased due to drivers alone, but I cannot recommend anything else but a badass deal from AMD when the time comes. That time is now. 2 280x cards would be better than 2 770s as well, for 600 bucks total which is also one of those deals. (280x = 7970GHz rebrand)

When I say I downsampled, I mean rendering 2560x1600 and outputting to the screen at 1920x1200 from scaling. So I know where your performance issues are coming from, but a screaming 590 is still exceptionally good for gaming today.

Last edited:
I often see people talking about reference models, and see them for sale on local classified sites. But where do you actually buy them from? I presume an asus or msi for example cannot be flashed as you described.

Thanks again...

I had settled on buying a gtx 690 (used) but i've now come accross somebody selling a gtx titan for 100 dollars more. I know the 690 is faster by itself. But in a year or so to double up on the titans is a viable option where 2 690s in quad sli probably won't be supported as well.

I have a hx850 so i probably wouldn't be able to run 2 690s, but I think i'd do 2 titans. Again, I run a high res monitor so 2gb of vram on the 690 might not treat me as well as the ridiculous amount of vram on the titan

Any opinions or comments welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Man I really need to sell my 690 at some point.

My single 290 is the bomb. Installed my 2nd last night.

Some are saying yes, but we'll see if they last or not. Personally I'm just going to grab the beta afterburner and peg every setting to max and call it good until there is some more testing done.

Back
Top Bottom