Upgrading my dell 600$ limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timmer, i dont think that PSU is that great. I would go with a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 460 watter for an AGP setup, an OCZ Modstream 510 watter for a PCIE setup

Wow guys, thanks for all your help. So I think for now I'm just going to get an 6800 GT and that PSU and then in a month or two when I have more money I might look into stripping it down.

HAVOC2k5 said:
I used to have a Dell Dimension 8300 as well. And I upgraded the crap out of it. So don't let anyone tell you can't upgrade it. Not only did I own one, but i work on Dell's all the time. And I upgrade them for people. Believe me, i know Dell PC's very well. I should go to india and become Dell Tech. Support. LOL - i don't think so..

The only parts that "ARE" propriotery are the Motherboard and the Case. You can upgrade anything else you want. The biggest problem is that the MOBO is a big piece of crap. NO OVERCLOCKING ABILITY AT ALL. No hardware monitoring in BIOS, no tweaking of voltages. Channel 2 dimm slots are on a wierd freakin angle... The case is so small inside. ZERO AIRFLOW. The case also opens on a stupid hingle... dumb design. I hated it.
Oh, if anything happens to the MOBO, "like my channel 1 dimm slot died" to replace the 8300 MOBO costs $190.00 with S&H.

250w PSU? Piece of crap. I put the PCP&C Turbo-Cool 425w PSU in it. And now i'm using it for my rebuild. This PSU is holding up really well in my new system.

P4 3.4ghz, 2gig RAM, 4 SATA HDD'S, 2 optical drives, 1 floppy/card reader, aerocool gatewatch, 3 case fans, UV lights, X800XT PE, caselights, SB audigy 2... No issues with only 425w.

I heard dell started using the same power connector pinout's as normal people now, can you confirm or deny this?

Yes, the newer Dell Model 8200-Current all use standard 20 or 24 pin connectors. The only problem is dell doesn't use PSU's with PSU switches. I guess they don't see the need for them. So the case is fabricated with out a opening for a switch. Which makes upgrading a PSU in a dell difficult. That's were PC POWER & COOLING came in. They've designed a few PSU's without power switches and DUBBED them, "FOR DELL". You could also cut a hole out for a PSU with a power switch if you have the right tools. But, not too many people are going to do that.

The only thing I would ever buy from Dell is their, "W4200HD Plasma TV." They actually have produced something that isn't a piece of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom