Upgrading Motherboard and processor. HDD switch question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that if you switch mobos and the BIOS are different you need to reformat your Windows disk. I installed the P5N-E for a day and it worked just fine because it was the same BIOS as my Biostar (Phoenix Award) however it is always recommended that you use Norton Ghost or reformat completely so you do not get any problems.

if u switch to a whole differ mobo n CPU socket, then ya u need to uninstall previous drivers for new ones, especially the chipset. Some problems will occur if the drivers r left.

with reformating the HDD, i dont see it as necessary to do UNLESS major problems occur but again that is highly unlikely.

for me, i need to get an OEM of Windows XP Pro. I kind a want to get an OEM of Windows Vista Ultimate, only if i get an FX-60 n newer graphics card before i get the HD 2900 XTX. Have to get a job first n drive first, im 18 omg lol.

So I shouldn't have to reformat my HDD? the only thing im worrying about now is having to reinstall windows, I have a legit windows xp pro, but i dont know where my upgrade disc is for it anymore. So I don't know how i'd install or retain windows on my system when i switch out the new parts.

no you dont need to reformat all you have to do is go into windows xp setup and hit repair. and repair the partition i do that all the time and it works great

my main problem is that i can't find my XP pro upgrade disc, so i don't know how i'd repair or reinstall windows or anything after i reformat or whatever for the new mobo processor and memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom