Upgrading Motherboard and processor. HDD switch question

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so. Lets straighten everything out. I have a A8N5X mobo, I'm switching it out for a ASUS M2N mobo. I currently have 2 HDDs. 1 is my 20gb master the other a 80gb slave. Windows XP pro is installed on the 20gb master, if i were to just switch out the mobos, put in my new processor and memory. should the OS still work after i use the mobo boot disc and set up its bios?

ya that should work no problem. There might however maybe some things that were featured in ur previous chipset mobo that wont be recongized n will say something like "such n such is not working, please report to Windows etc etc."

for example, when the previous mobo i had for a week gave me something called Fire daemon. After i changed mobo n CPU to the current ones i have now, the message come up almost everytime i turned on my computer. **** i dont even know what the Fire Daemon thing is to this day, heck, ive been without my computer since Feb!

ya that should work no problem. There might however maybe some things that were featured in ur previous chipset mobo that wont be recongized n will say something like "such n such is not working, please report to Windows etc etc."

for example, when the previous mobo i had for a week gave me something called Fire daemon. After i changed mobo n CPU to the current ones i have now, the message come up almost everytime i turned on my computer. **** i dont even know what the Fire Daemon thing is to this day, heck, ive been without my computer since Feb!

So you're saying it is possible that i'd be able to switch that stuff in and hook in my HDD do some tweaking and what not and it should work. Because i know with XP pro when there are significant hardware changes you need to reactivate windows. Which im guessing could take care of the whole having to buy a new install of windows by just getting a new mobo. I switched out my heatsink lastnight and removed my processor in the process of doing that and xp pro recocgnized there was a hardware change and i simply reactivated my copy of windows.

Oh thank god, i hope you're right. i really don't want to have to spend $200+ on getting a new copy of XP pro or Vista

i know im right, just ask anyone.

it's just about midnight here in Riverside, CA n im getting tired. Anyways, i pretty sure im right about this one, if not ask b1gapl. PM him if u wish.

Call microsoft, lol.

I would highly recommend NOT trying to just change the motherboard. Some things might still work, but you would porbably have to install most drivers and programs again.

The upgrade CD will still allow you to do a clean install. Wildside is right.

whoa whoa time out!!...............u saying that anytime anyone switches mobos, CPUs, n RAM, the OS needs to be reformated?

that doesnt make sense. My previous mobo was just switched out because the mobo didnt fulfill my desire at the time from iGamez *out of business for almost a year now*. I had no problems n im sure the OS didnt need to be reformated.

i've had that... but u can avoid them if ur just switching the mobo and cpu is to unistall the old mobo's driver.....

I believe that if you switch mobos and the BIOS are different you need to reformat your Windows disk. I installed the P5N-E for a day and it worked just fine because it was the same BIOS as my Biostar (Phoenix Award) however it is always recommended that you use Norton Ghost or reformat completely so you do not get any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom