Upgrading mid-range advice wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

great googly moogly

Beta member
Hello all, new to the place etc etc, but you seem nice enough, so here's the thing...

I'm stuck in the early neolithic age when it comes to computer capability, and would like to be able to play some nice games and make it look pretteh. Also, I'm somewhat of a 3d modeller so power is required.

Currently I have a P4 single core heap of junk with an ATI 9600GT pushing pixels for me. and 2 gig of completely random (it was laying about...) RAM. some good-will and sheer bloody minded-ness help keep the system running. It sounds like a jet on take off and suffers awesome single core lag (noticeable slow down in processing power when running high demand progs or multiple progs)

I want to be able to play some of the more demanding games out there... and asked my friendly not-so-neighbourhood internerd computer sales company (aria in the UK) and they suggested the following for my upgrade bits n bobs:

• OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333MHz Gold Low Voltage 4GB Dual Channel Kit
  • AMD Athlon II X4 620 Retail
  • Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 DDR3 ATX Motherboard
  • SAPPHIRE HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual Slot Fansink
  • OCZ 500W StealthXstream Power Supply PSU

the MAIN point of this whole thing, is budget. I'm point out broke, so getting any REAL meaty gear is out of the question, the above was quoted at £300. My questions,

a: is this the best value for £££ i'm gonna get?
b: are there any changes / additions i should look into?
c: be gentle... i'm new here!:crazy:

fair enough, I thought it sounded ok, but for some reason I just felt there was something wrong, guess I'm just too paranoid about being ripped off...

I guess I'll get some pennies and consider my new system..

I like those selections! :thumbsup: The quad cores are multi-tasking MONSTERS!
I'm in love with my Gigabyte board, I'm sure you'll be happy with yours! That 4850 is a nice card as well, do it up!!! :cool: And I agree that the price is a bargain.

After you get it all assembled, stick around, then haul carkass into the Tweaking section and post up some benchmarks for that processor! We need some more variety in there! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom