I finally got a job. I finally have money. So here is the plan:

1. Sell 6600
2. Sell 3700+
3. Buy 7600GT
4. Buy X2 3800+

--------------
Questions:
--------------

1. How much should I sell the 6600 for? The dilemma is that I have a wicked Zalman cooler on it and I kind of want to keep that, but it has no stock fan anymore. Should I just trash the 6600 and keep the cooler or sell it with the cooler?

2. How much should I try and get for the 3700+?

3. 7600GT or X1800GTO? Which make, model, brand etc? I want something that is *silent*, but can play Oblivion at decent frame rates, even with eye candy.

4. I have heard of alot of problems with X2 processors. I hear that it makes Windows mad, your motherboard mad, and some things don't run right. I know that there are fixes for this, but I want to be CERTAIN that I get the right one. I have the evga nForce 4 SLI motherboard and XP Pro. I could google this, but I know that alot of you have dual core processors and have found what works best, so it is alot easier to ask all of you here.

5. How do I get the most from my Dual core processor. I game *alot* and I have heard rumours that Oblivion can flourish if given the right patch or something. Anyone know anything about this? I cannot overclock, because I do not have the resources. (If I break something, no $$$ to fix/replace it.)

Answer any/all that you please. American $$$ and I buy from Newegg. As always, I am indebted to everyone for any help that they can provide.

You can get around $110-$150 for the 3700+.

On July 24th the 3800+ X2 will be around $160-$170 so may be able to afford a 7900GT or you could get a 4000+...

E6300?? Have I been disconnected from the computer world too long, because I have no idea what you are talking about....

I'll say, lol. I suspected you wouldn't know about it, seems like you've been gone a while.

Quick overview;

Intel releases a new series of processors on August 7th. The series name is Core 2 Duo but the processors are better known by their codename - Conroe.

They come in 5 versions, I'll list their AMD counterparts next to them;

$186 1.86Ghz E6300 ~ 2.4Ghz Athlon 64 X2.
$224 2.13Ghz E6400 ~ 2.8Ghz Athlon 64 X2.
$316 2.40Ghz E6600 ~ No counterpart.
$520 2.66Ghz E6700 ~ No counterpart.
$999 2.93Ghz X6800 ~ No counterpart.

Yes, they really are that good.

They overclock like h*ll too. A 1.86Ghz E6300 can get to the X6800's 2.94Ghz on stock voltage and nice decent air cooling.

Anandtech for a 2.4Ghz E6600 to 4.0Ghz on rather nice air cooling.

I figured that you were talking about Conroe.

Oh, I would LOVE to have a Conroe machine, but I would have to buy a new Mobo, new RAM, processor, etc. I might as well buy a new computer and I don't have a spare 1000$ burning a hole in my pocket at the moment.

*sniff* No Conroe for me...

In that case.

1.) Sell the videocard w/the heatsink. Then buy another heatsink. That way, atleast you get some money. No one would buy a videocard wo/ a heatsink.

2.) $100-$120?

3.) eVGA GeForce 7600GT. Clicky. $140 after MIB.

4.) The World+Dog loves X2 processors. They're fine. You'll be fine.

5.) I'll leave this to someone else. But overclocking is easier than it sounds. You'd have to actually try to do harm to actually do it. If you do it right, there is nothing to worry about. Heaven knows I've done some stupid things with my processor, but its still fine. Besides, there are built-in failsafe measures to protect it from users like me.

I know. I am going to be in heaven if I get them. Crazy! Plus, I will finally be able to play Oblivion with...grass!

Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom