Upgrading a hard drive to move to Vista 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ycoidi2000

Baseband Member
I've decided that having 4GB of memory and not being able to use it all in Vista 32-bit is not good enough for me. Roughly, I have the following system:

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB in RAID 1 configuration
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI

So...I currently have the RAID 1 running and have just purchased a new 1TB drive to install Vista 64-bit. I have not yet purchased a second drive to mirror it to yet as I want to make sure the 64-bit experience works for me.

Well...This is about where I'm stuck. I have the two old drives in the RAID 1 configuration, but I want the operating system on the 1TB drive. Can the 1TB drive be set up in the RAID utility or do I have to shutdown the RAID to use the 1TB as a single drive? If I disable the RAID, what happens to the 500GB drives?

I'm new to the whole RAID world and I haven't touched this since I set up the computer a year and a half ago. Quite simply, I'd like to run the operating system off of the 1TB drive and keep the other 500GBs around for data storage. Eventually, I'd like to add another 1TB in the future for a mirror.

Any help (if any of this made sense!) would be appreciated!

as long as you arent trying to add the 1tb to the raid 1...you should be fine to have the OS on the 1tb and the raid 1 setup on the 500gbs....but remember that the 1tb wont have a mirror image since it's not on the raid

as long as you arent trying to add the 1tb to the raid 1...you should be fine to have the OS on the 1tb and the raid 1 setup on the 500gbs....but remember that the 1tb wont have a mirror image since it's not on the raid

Here's the next idiotic question. When I have RAID enabled in the BIOS, the drives are not visibile. The RAID utility sees them...just not the BIOS. Do I set up the 1TB in the RAID utility?

shouldn't need to setup the 1tb in the raid utility since it will have no advantages of being in raid since it is single

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom