upgrading graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
either of those would require a psu upgrade.

The chipset brand is irrelevant. The only difference it makes is the fact that it can run SLI, and not crossfire.
Also, I used to run Nforce4 and Nforce 590 chipsets. It's a silly myth that ATI cards would have issues on them.

One of the best things about the 5750 is that it doesn't use much power at all.

How much would I have to upgrade the PSU by?

@Apokalipse- Would the 5750 require an upgrade?

Go with a 5750. Trust us on this, the 9800gt and all Nividia cards are outdated right now. The 5750 should just be plug n play with your pc, take out the old, put in the new, and power on. It uses hardly any power (comparably) and won't require any other upgrades.

Agreed, a 5750 is an excellent card. It is also more future proof over the nVidia cards due to the fact that it is DirectX 11. Even if you arent playing DX11 games right now, having a DX11 card gives you more options in the future without having to upgrade yet again. The 9800, althou a great card in its day, is old technology.

Ignore all the mumbo jumbo about "only use nVidia cards on nVidia chip sets," that is complete bogus. Sounds like Gateway trying to take sales away from AMD, if you ask me. Isnt Gateway exclusively Intel? If so than according to them, no ATI card will work in a Gateway, because all of their mobo's would either have nVidia or Intel chip sets. And if your supposed to use nVidia cards witn nVidia boards, what are you supposed to use with an Intel chip set board? Intel does not make graphics cards, besides onboard stuff. Its like saying you cant use a Sony DVD-ROM drive on a computer with an Asus motherboard, or something... just dosnt make any sense.

Well I have a nvidia chipset, so I'd still prefer sticking with nvidia (just as someone else said, I feel iffy mixing the two up, even though it says they're compatible :p)

What would be a good card which is substantially better than my current card (and would still be powered by my 400W PSU).

Trust us, many people run and have run ATI cards on Nvidia chipsets. No problem at all :thumbsup:

wow overwhelming reception! Thanks guys for all your help, +1 rep to everyone. the 5750 it is. :)

is this a good price for the card? *note this is in Canadian $
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/upgrading-graphics-card-227745/index3.html

EDIT: on the specs, it says if needs a minimum of 450W power. I'd still be ok with 400W right?

Model
Brand XFX
Model HD-575X-ZNDC
Interface
Interface PCI Express 2.0 x16
Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer ATI
GPU Radeon HD 5750
Core Clock 740MHz
Stream Processors 720 Stream Processing Units
Memory
Effective Memory Clock 1200MHz (4.8Gbps)
Memory Size 1GB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type DDR5
3D API
DirectX DirectX 11
Ports
HDMI 1 x HDMI
DisplayPort 1 x DisplayPort
DVI 2 x DVI
General
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
RoHS Compliant Yes
CrossFireX Support Yes
Cooler With Fan
System Requirements Minimum 450 Watt Power Supply Requirement
Power Connector 6 Pin
Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
HDCP Ready Yes
Packaging
Package Contents HD-575X-ZNDC
Installation CD with Multi-Language User Guide
Quick Installation Guide
Driver CD Installation Guide
XFX Serial Number Door Hanger
6-pin to 4-pin power cable
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts Lifetime limited
Labor Lifetime limited

Your link leads back to this thread :p

From the specs it looks like you picked the XXX version. Which is $20 more for 40mhz... Go with the original one, 40 mhz isn't worth $20 lol.

Newegg.ca - XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Oops, my bad. This was the link I meant to post. :D

XFX HD-575X-ZNDC Radeon HD 5750 XXX Edition 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail[/QUOTE]

And ok. I'll go with that one then. Thanks :)

And just confirming, it'll work with my 400W PSU right, even though it says the minimum is 450W (even for the non XXX one)?

[/QUOTE]

The original looks good.
Go with it and save yourself the $20 like dirkpitt said.

And you'll definitely be ok with a 400w as long as it's a decent 400w.

If you try though and your PSU can't cut it, you can always get a cheap PSU that can.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339009&cm_re=hec_585w-_-17-339-009-_-Product

Can handle it for only $30

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1789578 said:
The original looks good.
Go with it and save yourself the $20 like dirkpitt said.

And you'll definitely be ok with a 400w as long as it's a decent 400w.

If you try though and your PSU can't cut it, you can always get a cheap PSU that can.
Newegg.ca - hec HP585D 585W ATX12V Power Supply - No Power Cord - Power Supplies

Can handle it for only $30

Oh that's pretty cheap. I thought PSU's were more expensive than that and that's why I was hesitating. 585W looks good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom