Upgrading gpu: HD4870, GTX280 or 260?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think long and hard about that 4850X2. but between the GTX280s the cheaper one. Its a no brainer, the other one is factory overclocked and you can do that for free.

the GTX is cheaper but the 4850x2 is faster.

If you are talking about bang/buck then at resolutions under 1920x1200 the 9800GX2 is king imo

It just seems no matter what I hear issues with ATI, either the drivers suck or the card runs to hot depending on the card. I really never hear any negative feedback for Nvidia besides the cost difference. So if the only issue I run into is $$ then I would rather pay it and not have to worry about issues that i will have with ati.

The 4850x2 has a better cooler

better cooler then what?

It just seems no matter what I hear issues with ATI, either the drivers suck or the card runs to hot depending on the card. I really never hear any negative feedback for Nvidia besides the cost difference. So if the only issue I run into is $$ then I would rather pay it and not have to worry about issues that i will have with ati.

ATIs drivers are fine. They were crappy back in the day ut they are fine now. Crossfire scales better than sli even. The heating issues were with the first 4000 series cards because they used in adequate reference coolers. The current cards are fine, **** even with the reference cooler you could mess with the settings and get respectable temps. And even then the cards were in no danger of failing, they were just hotter than usual.

I would go for the 4850X2 if I were you.

Thanks for the help guys. **** I love this place!!!

gurusan,

Do you know with the 4850 x2 if there is any driver issues? No heating issues?

Poizen22 and zmatt, you both didn't say much about why to stay away from 4850 x2 but you recommend I stay away. Can you explain why?

Oh I misunderstood you. You said think long and hard about the 4850 x2. I assumed you meant stay away.

If the 4850 x2 performs better then the 280 then I'd rather go that route since the price is similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom