Upgrading Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
That one is deactivated it looks like, but they are not bad no. How much are you willing to spend on a kit of ram? I would suggest about $100 to make it worth your while to replace the 4GB you already have.

well I found that same kit on ebay for like $50. would a Raid 0 HD setup be alot faster than my 250gb drive i have now? sorry if i'm sounding noobish.

well I found that same kit on ebay for like $50. would a Raid 0 HD setup be alot faster than my 250gb drive i have now? sorry if i'm sounding noobish.

Yeah but you run the risk of losing your data by going RAID. If it's speed your after, check out the Western Digital "Black" series of hard drives. Great performance there. If you found that kit on ebay for $50 and it's a trusted seller then go for it I guess.

Edit:
It seems good, but its a deactivated item so i don't know the price.

Here's a better route to go:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-AG - Desktop Memory

$268.98 - $20 mail in rebate, with free shipping on the lot.

Do not get an ECS board...sorry but I think that's just not right.

It seems good, but its a deactivated item so i don't know the price.

Here's a better route to go:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-AG - Desktop Memory

$268.98 - $20 mail in rebate, with free shipping on the lot.

The PII 925 is slower than the Core 2 Quad Q9400 which would work fine in his current motherboard.

Newegg.com - Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

+1 for avoiding ECS boards.

If you want a graphics boost, staying with a single card would be better. Se;; your current card after you grab one of these:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
or
Newegg.com - XFX HD-489X-ZSFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

A set of matching 2GB would serve you better.

As Aliasaid said, get a C2Q if you want a CPU boost. The 9400 can handle virtualization so it could do XP mode in Win7.
Newegg.com - Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

The PII 925 is slower than the Core 2 Quad Q9400 which would work fine in his current motherboard.

yup i agree. But he's keen on upgrading the ram as well, so i don't agree with buying all that old technology when he can get something more future-proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom