upgrading gaming rig - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 91
Default upgrading gaming rig

i recently posted specs for a new gaming rig,,but for cost reasons ive decided to upgrade instead...i already have the mobo and disk drive...but everything else will need upgrading..so here is the parts ive picked out and the ones ive already got..PS i might change over to the new amd cpu if its better,,and get a new mobo off course.

case: Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan - Retail
cpu: ClubIT Product - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping Kentsfield 2.40GHz 8MB L2 LGA 775 Processor OEM HH80562PH0568M
mobo:Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
gpu:Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N881-AR GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
psu:Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail
ram:Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
hdd:Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
hdd:Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
monitor:Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1(DC 3000:1) - Retail
mouse:Newegg.com - Logitech G5 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser 2000 dpi Mouse - Retail
keyboard:Newegg.com - Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - Retail
sound card:Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
cpu cooler:Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail
vga cooler:not able to find one to fit the 8800 besides the zerotherm
speakers:Newegg.com - Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speaker - Retail
os:Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
__________________

__________________
All Wars are civil wars because all men are brothers.
edwardopowers is offline  
Old 09-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Deadpixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 844
Default Re: upgrading gaming rig

Do not buy OEM and go through the same crap I'm going through right now with OEM from Microsoft.

Tuniq tower for your cpu cooler.

You said you alreayd have the motherboard? Otherwise get a P5K for better overclocking, or a cheaper option is the DS3R

The G-skills are good b/c they have the highest chance of recieivng a certain D9 micron chipset, which is best for overclocking.
__________________

Deadpixel is offline  
Old 09-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
gurusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,562
Send a message via MSN to gurusan
Default Re: upgrading gaming rig

Most of it looks great to me...

Things I would change:

-Get the Q6600 G0 stepping, it runs cooler

-Get a different motherboard that supports 1333fsb processors like the 680i or preferably the p35 chipset

-Get a different CPU cooler (recommend Tuniq Tower, Noctua, Thermalright Ultra 120 or Ultra 120 Extreme with your choice of fan)

-Get a different VGA cooler, there's no way in **** that zerotherm is going to cool an 8800. The Thermalright HR-03+ with a fan is a good option

-I would change your storage drive (keep the raptor if you want) to a Seagate 7200.10
__________________
|| 2500K @ 5GHz 1 thread, 4.8 2 threads, 4.6 3, 4.5 4 1.284V ||
|| P8P67-M Pro || 8GB @ 2133MHz ||
|| 5850 @ 1000/1225 || XFX 650W || Silverstone FT03B ||
|| 37" LCD TV || CM Hyper 212+ || Samsung 2.1 Soundbar ||
gurusan is offline  
Old 09-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
gurusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,562
Send a message via MSN to gurusan
Default Re: upgrading gaming rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpixel View Post
The G-skills are good b/c they have the highest chance of recieivng a certain D9 micron chipset, which is best for overclocking.
Personally, I prefer crucial as the ballistix ALWAYS have D9 chips....and their RMA service is pretty fast and they've got a lifetime warranty....but the G. Skills are pretty great as well. Personal preference really.
__________________
|| 2500K @ 5GHz 1 thread, 4.8 2 threads, 4.6 3, 4.5 4 1.284V ||
|| P8P67-M Pro || 8GB @ 2133MHz ||
|| 5850 @ 1000/1225 || XFX 650W || Silverstone FT03B ||
|| 37" LCD TV || CM Hyper 212+ || Samsung 2.1 Soundbar ||
gurusan is offline  
Old 09-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Deadpixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 844
Default Re: upgrading gaming rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
Personally, I prefer crucial as the ballistix ALWAYS have D9 chips....and their RMA service is pretty fast and they've got a lifetime warranty....but the G. Skills are pretty great as well. Personal preference really.
Well their are lots of D9 chipsets.

"The G.Skill has a 80 percent chance of D9GMH and 10 percent chance of D9GKX and 10 percent chance of D9QCT"
Deadpixel is offline  
Old 09-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired.
 
peterhuang913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8,076
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: upgrading gaming rig

ClubIT Product - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping Kentsfield 2.40GHz 8MB L2 LGA 775 Processor OEM HH80562PH0568M
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
__________________


My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
peterhuang913 is offline  
Old 09-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
gurusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,562
Send a message via MSN to gurusan
Default Re: upgrading gaming rig

might as well save some money and get the PC2 5300 Ballistix. put it toward a decent CPU cooler
__________________
|| 2500K @ 5GHz 1 thread, 4.8 2 threads, 4.6 3, 4.5 4 1.284V ||
|| P8P67-M Pro || 8GB @ 2133MHz ||
|| 5850 @ 1000/1225 || XFX 650W || Silverstone FT03B ||
|| 37" LCD TV || CM Hyper 212+ || Samsung 2.1 Soundbar ||
gurusan is offline  
Old 09-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 91
Default Re: upgrading gaming rig

thanks for your help guys,,i added the suggested parts to the list...but one thing that kills me is newegg doesnt have the Q6600 go stepping cpu...
__________________
All Wars are civil wars because all men are brothers.
edwardopowers is offline  
Old 09-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
MetalHead Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,912
Default Re: upgrading gaming rig

i'm almost positive they are all out, of b3....as most of the august reviews say G0
__________________

__________________
Proc Intel 2500k
Video XFX 6950 1Gb
Display 22'' Monitor Chemei 5ms RT, 800:1 CR
Mobo Biostar Z68A+
Mem 4 gb PNY DDR3 1600
Case afk
Sound Logitech z-5300e 5.1 + Razer Orca's + Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE
PSU Corsair 520hx
OS Windows 7 64-bit
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
HDD Hitachi 1Tb
Invisible is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
which of these gaming pads is the best that i should get? Wildside PC Gaming 1 07-25-2007 11:21 AM
Midrange Gaming PC + Questions Jookalook New Systems | Building and Buying 17 07-20-2007 10:39 AM
Advise With Upgrading Parts Rowan_7 New Systems | Building and Buying 5 05-30-2007 06:05 PM
Help Upgrading Old PC techsquad New Systems | Building and Buying 30 05-16-2007 11:02 PM
Gaming Laptop...? Trepkos New Systems | Building and Buying 21 04-20-2007 02:47 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.