Upgrading gaming pc help

Status
Not open for further replies.

phibius

Solid State Member
Hello!
I`ve posted something yesterday because I wasn`t able to max out CoD4 graphics AND keep solid fps, and I was wondering why. I got some answers saying it could be my processor, so since my MB is a socket 939, I need help finding which processor and MB to buy next!
Here is what I have

asus a8n-E
4gb RAM
Geforce 7950 GX2
AMD AthlonX2 4200+

So yeah, I`m pretty much aware that processor is -almsot- the best I can have for a socket 939, so I was wondering If I should switch to Intel or get something like a socket AM2 MB.
Discuss!
And thanks alot!

wats ur budget?

i would suggest:
cpu: q6600 n true120
maybe sell ur gpu n get a 8800gt
mobo: abit IP-35

well I don`t really a budget, but I don`t want to spend 1k$ neither :p
It`s clear I`d have to sell my current cpu and MB, and I also have a 7900gtx in my storage room that could possibly be sold.

you should sell of the 7900gtx and 7950gx2... because u can still get some good amount of dough for it..

and Kobe's build looks promising.. but then again.. its pretty much recommended on almost every build here nowadays...

also if your not into RAID an ip35-e can save u cash ont he board..

myeah... well I think I didn`t read it supported IDE drives...problem is sata doesn`t work alot better. If I can get enough money out of it, what MB supports quad core AND IDE drive? Tried to google it but then again it's not really clear when it comes to socket F and stuff like that

most boards today have IDE support.. regardless it's only 1 IDE Port.. but 1 is still better than nothing..

Hello!
Did my research, here`s what I found
Kobe if you would please tell me if this is what you talk about, I found several models for the processor:

Processor:
Intel Core 2 quad q6600 stepping g0 slacr quad core processor lga 775 2.40ghz 1066 fst

OR

Intel Core 2 quad q6600 quad core processor lga 775 2.40ghz 1066 fbs 8mb.

Both look pretty similar but the first one costs a little bit more.

Motherboard:
Abit IP35 pro intel LGA775 p35&ich9r ddr2 800 667 pci-eX16 sata lan

Video card:
asus EN8800gt/g/htdp/512 pcie2 8800gt 512mb DDR3 256bit dvi-i hdtv hdcp

and what`s DVI-I by the way? :O

Hello!
Did my research, here`s what I found
Kobe if you would please tell me if this is what you talk about, I found several models for the processor:

Processor:
Intel Core 2 quad q6600 stepping g0 slacr quad core processor lga 775 2.40ghz 1066 fst

OR

Intel Core 2 quad q6600 quad core processor lga 775 2.40ghz 1066 fbs 8mb.

Both look pretty similar but the first one costs a little bit more.

Motherboard:
Abit IP35 pro intel LGA775 p35&ich9r ddr2 800 667 pci-eX16 sata lan

Video card:
asus EN8800gt/g/htdp/512 pcie2 8800gt 512mb DDR3 256bit dvi-i hdtv hdcp

and what`s DVI-I by the way? :O

There is only one Q6600, so I'm not sure what that "slacr" one is.

The Abit IP35 Pro is an excellent board, but might be a little pricey.

For your video card, try to get the EVGA brand of the 8800GT. EVGA is my favorite, and a lot of other people say XFX is good as well.

DVI is the type of connection your monitor uses to connect to the video card.

the difference is the stepping.. slacr means g0 stepping which run cooler and oc's better than the b3

One of the q6600's is probably retail andd the other oem. The difference being you dont get the manuals and heatsink with the oem version. Not that you want to use the stock heatsink on a Q6600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom